fifty-nine

Y/N understood it was the middle of the night and she was barging into Tony's home, not knowing what she might see. But Happy was at the hospital, in the ICU, and both Tony and Pepper deserved to know.

"Miss Rogers, you seem distressed," JARVIS immediately stated. "Is there something wrong?"

"Yes," she stated, moving through the mansion. "Something is terribly wrong."

"Y/N?" Pepper's tired voice came from the direction of the couch. Y/N turned to see that Pepper seemed to have been sleeping on the couch. "What are you doing here?"

"Where's Tony?"

"Up in the bedroom. Why?"

"Tony!" Y/N yelled.

Pepper stood up and headed towards Y/N. "Y/N, is something wrong?"

"Yes, but... I just can't bare to say it twice. Tony!"

"What is going on out here?" Tony grumbled, coming to the top of the stairs.

"Something's happened to Happy."

The flurry of activity that happened after Y/N explained more was crazy. Pepper was calling the hospital, making sure he got the best care, while Tony was changing and Y/N was gathering more information from the officers on seen. Both Pepper and Tony headed to the hospital, while Y/N headed back to the seen with one of Tony's devices. He asked her to scan the scene, so that they would be able to work more on it and catch somethings that may have been missed.

By the time Y/N got back to the safe house, Director Fury was calling her directly.

"Director?" Y/N answered the phone. "To what do I owe this pleasure?"

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe it's because your stupid boyfriend-"

"I don't have a boyfriend."

"-decided to threaten a terrorist on live tv?"

"He did what?!"

"Told them his address and everything. I'm going to need you to go back on babysitting duty."

"I'm in the middle of trying to figure out who set a bomb off and the Chinese Theater. I can't-"

"I have a feeling that they're connected. Get to the house before something happens."

~~~

"What the hell were you thinking?!" Y/N shouted as she entered Tony's workshop. "Fury's pulled me away from the scene to come babysit you and your stupidity, now."

"I was thinking that he hurt my friend," Tony answered. "And I'm not about to let him get away with it. Do you have the scans?"

"Yeah," she dug the device out of one of her pockets. "Here." She tossed it to Tony, who easily caught it. "Have you found anything yet?"

"I don't know." Tony pulled the device into his computers. "JARVIS?"

"I've compiled a Mandarin database for you, sir," the AI started. "Drawn from SHIELD, FBI, and CIA intercepts. Initiating virtual crime scene reconstruction."

Tony moved to sit higher up. "Y/N, come." He patted the seat next to him as JARVIS pulled up the holograms. "Okay, what do we got here?"

She moved to sit next to him and began reading aloud. "His name is an ancient Chinese war mantle, meaning "adviser to the King". Adviser to the king? So is he the one in charge or is he the puppet?"

"Good thinking, keep that just in case," Tony said before continuing to read. "South American insurgency tactics, talks like a Baptist preacher. There's lots of pageantry going on here... lots of theater. Close," Tony pushed the information down, looking at the crime scene reconstruction.