twenty

The next day, Y/N informed Coulson about Obadiah, and how she thinks that somethings up. He immediately told her that he'd get on it. Due to her nightmares and watching Tony, Y/N hadn't gotten much sleep. She was sitting at the counter, trying to eat her lunch and keep her eyes open, when Tony entered the kitchen. He immediately took her all in. Tony took note that she hadn't looked that great since he had mentioned her hand. He poured himself some coffee as he thought about what to do. He usually wasn't the worried about other people type, but there was something about Y/N Barnes that made him want to know all her secrets.

"You look rough, Barnes," Tony stated, immediately realizing he probably shouldn't have said it that way.

"Why thanks, Stark," she retorted. "You're such a charmer. No wonder all the women fawn over you."

Tony chuckled. "No, but seriously Y/N." Tony leaned over the counter right in front of her. "You should go up stairs and rest. I promise I won't go anywhere."

"Sorry, Mr. Stark. If you're up, I'm up."

"That's not a good thing, Y/N. I don't sleep."

"Well then neither do I."

The two stared each other down. Neither wanting to give in. Pepper soon marched in.

"Um.. what's going on here?" She asked, pointing between the two adults.

"Y/N hasn't been sleeping. I'm trying to get her to," Tony answered.

"Mr. Stark hasn't been sleeping either though," Y/N stated. "And I'm suppose to watch him. That is my job, correct?"

"You both might be the death of me," Pepper complained as she rubbed her temple. "How about you both go down to the workshop? Tony, you can keep working and Y/N, you can take a nap on the couch while still be close enough to be there if anything happens."

"Nope!" Tony immediately said, turning around to refill his cup. "I told Ms. Barnes here that she can't come down to the workshop until she tells me what happened to her hand."

"Tony!" Pepper scolded. "She doesn't need to tell you anything!"

"It's a simple question!"

Those two continued their bickering, unaware that Y/N was struggling to breath. Tears slipped down her cheeks as she tried to take in some breaths, but couldn't fully fill her lungs. Her hand came up to her chest and she played in her mind the moments she grabbed the cube and fell into the ocean. Pepper was the first to notice.

"Oh my gosh!" She exclaimed, stopping their bickering, and rushing to Y/N's side. Tony's eyes widened before he curiously watched Y/N's panic. "Y/N," Pepper tried to get the woman's attention. "Focus on me." Y/N's panicky eyes met Pepper's worried, yet carrying ones. "Match my breathing."

It took Pepper fifteen minutes to calm Y/N down. With Tony just standing by and watching.

"I'm so sorry," Y/N croaked. "That was very unprofessional of me. I've never let my personal issues show on the job."

"You're fine," Pepper said, running a hand up and down Y/N's back. "It happens, even to the best of us."

"It still shouldn't have happened." Y/N looked up to meet Tony's eyes. "I'm sorry, sir."

"It's just Tony. And don't." He grabbed his mug and headed for the stairs. "The workshop will be open if you want to spend the day in it."

"Really though, Y/N, are you okay?" Pepper genuinely asked once Tony was gone.

"I'll be fine. He just- my hand-"

"No need to explain to me. And I'll make sure Tony understands."

"I think I'm going to clean up a bit and then head down to the workshop."

"Sounds good. Please let me know if there's anything I can do for you."

"Of course."

Y/N quickly left to her bedroom. Once in the safety of it, she broke down. She sank to her knees, clutching her scarred hand to her chest. Unbeknownst to her, Tony was watching from the workshop. Her panic worried him and he needed to make sure she was okay. It was obvious she wasn't. But he didn't know what to do.

Y/N was so embarrassed. She wished that her hand wasn't a trigger for the memories of her past. But she didn't know how to stop it. She sobbed as the memories of the day she fell flashed before her eyes.

"Miss Barnes," JARVIS' voice rang through the room, "you seem to be in distress. Would you like me to call someone for help?"

"N-no," Y/N shook her head. "I just... need time... It'll pass."

"You don't need to do this alone."

Y/N furrowed her brows and looked up at the ceiling due to the AI's statement. How the hell was the AI so emotional?

"I'll be fine," she panted. "I'll be fine."

Still watching, Tony didn't believe her. He went back to work, turning the screen off and telling JARVIS to inform him if anything changes.