hundred thirty-one

"Y/N? Did you do it?" Steve asked, still fighting off the creatures attacking them. No answer though. "Y/N?" Still nothing. "I need eyes on Y/N!"

"I'm heading to the lab now!" Bucky responded.

"She seems to be in a trance," Shuri finally answered, coming up to Y/N. "Her eyes are glowing the same color as the Stone, but it's clear she's not really here."

"And the Stone?" Steve wondered.

"Floating in between her hands. But I can already tell there's a protective barrier around it. We won't be able to get to it."

"I'm here! I'me here!" Bucky exclaimed, running to Y/N's side. "Shit." He knelt in front of her, knowing not to touch her. "Steve, we're going to have to wait this out. Waking her isn't going to be a smart option."

"Stay by her side then! She's one of the few things stopping Thanos from succeeding."

"On it."

"I'm going to secure the lab," Shuri stated, rushing off with the guards.

"Oh, doll," Bucky sighed. "Where've you gone now?"

~~~

Y/N was kneeling in the common room of the SHIELD base she had once called home. Everything had an orange tint to it, so she knew she was in the Soul Dimension. Standing up, she observed the room. No one was there and it looked like it had those many years ago when they first had found the base. Untouched, undamaged, ready and waiting for adventure.

Confused as to why she was there, Y/N stood up and began to make her way around the base. Memories of all the good times and bad she had shared with the team crossed her mind. She had completely forgotten about the troubles in reality as she wondered, eventually finding her way to Coulson's office. With a shaky breath, she opened the door. Looking around, she froze when her eyes saw it. Saw him.

"Hey, Y/N," Coulson smiled. He was in a black suit, sitting against his desk. "Told you I'd always be there."

"Phil?" Y/N gasped. "What... how... this means... you died."

"About a week ago." Coulson stood up straight, unbuttoning his jacket. "May should have sent you a letter. Though, I understand why you haven't gotten in yet."

"Why are you here?"

"Don't know," he shrugged. "The Stone brought me here. I immediately knew it was because of you though. What's going on?"

"I... Thanos is coming for the Stones. I was in Wakanda, trying to destroy the Soul Stone and now I'm here." Y/N looked around. "They told me... they warned me."

"Who warned you? About what?"

"The Stones warned me that if I tried to stop them, they would stop me. This is them doing that."

"Why would they do that though? Aren't you suppose to save the universe or something?"

"I am... just not yet... people are going to die. And I won't be able to stop it..."

"People die every day, not everyone's deaths is your fault."

Y/N shook her head. "This is different though, Phil. So very different."

Coulson sighed and walked over so that he was standing in front of Y/N. "Always been so stubborn and full of heart. But instead of staying here feeling guilty about it all, before it even happens, you need to focus and beat this Stone out." He set his hands on her shoulders, looking at her square on. "You need to get out there and help everyone else."