hundred seven

"Do something!"

"Fitz," Y/N got up and hurried to him. She was afraid to portal, scared of what the monolith might do. "Come on." She grabbed his arm but he tore it away. "We have to get out of here!"

"Leave me alone!"

He turned and decked Y/N in the face, causing her to tumble down the steps and to the ground. Y/N gently touched her face, pulling her hand back to see blood.

"Fitz! Y/N!" Mack shouted, rushing to grab Fitz from the container.

"Fitz, get out of there!" Hunter yelled, getting the door.

"Are you crazy?"

"Close it!" Bobbi yelled. "Close it!"

"Y/N!" Daisy rushed over. "Oh my gosh, you're bleeding."

As soon as Bobbi and Hunter closed the container, the monolith turned into liquid. Everyone was panting.

"Damn it, Fitz," Coulson murmured, coming into the room.

"I had to know," Fitz panted. "Had to- had to know-"

"I already lost Simmons to that thing. I cannot afford to lose you or Y/N, too."

"Trying to get yourself killed?" Hunter wondered.

"Sorry," Fitz said. "I won't give up. I can't give up."

"None of us want to, Fitz, but..." Daisy tried to say.

"Fitz," Bobbi knelt down in front of him, "you tried. Okay? You tried your hardest. Everybody knows that."

"No," he shook his head. "I missed something. I m... I missed something." He wiped something off his face.

"What is that?"

"Proof." Fitz got up and ran to the lab.

"Y/N," Coulson said, the others turning to face her. She was still on the ground, breathing heavily. "Oh my..." There was a long cut down the right side of Y/N's face. "Did he-"

"I'll be fine..." She panted. "I'll be fine..."

"Come on," Daisy urged, helping Y/N up. "Let's get that stitched up."

Daisy took Y/N to Coulson's office and Bobbi brought all the supplies to help patch up the cut.

"He didn't mean to," Bobbi said quietly.

"I know," Y/N responded.

"He just misses Simmons so much."

"I know."

"It hurts-"

"I know, Bobbi! Just stop, okay?" Tears formed in Y/N's eyes. "Out of everyone here, I think I understand the most... I lost Bucky... no one could find his body... I was torn. I acted out too. That's how I'm here... So I understand. I get that now we know Bucky's alive, but we didn't then. And I didn't think he would ever come back... Honestly, at least he has hope. That's more than I ever had."

~~~

Fitz showed up in the office not too long later. He had a tablet in hand and pulled up his findings.

"Sand," he stated. "Not just sand. Impossible sand."

"The monolith's case is a clean room," Mack said. "There's nothing in there but that rock. Not even dust."

"Unless you blast it open with a shotgun and contaminate everything," Hunter retorted.

"That's not what this is," Bobbi shook her head.