thirteen

When Y/N opened her eyes, she was shocked to see that she was laying on a bed, in a stark white room. Her eyes roamed the room without her moving. There were no windows, one door, and the only furniture in the room was the bed. Y/N glanced down at herself. A white blanket slid on top of her, coming up to her waist, while she was dressed in a white nightgown, that stopped at her knees. She slowly sat up, still inspecting her surroundings. Something was not right. She should be dead. She glanced at her left hand, remembering what had happened with the cube. There were scars on her hand, but she still had full movement of it. As she moved her hand around and looked around the room, she realized one thing that was wrong. Her hand had scarred, and the scars had paled. It usually took scars years to look the way the one on her hand did. Y/N's head snapped towards the door as it opened and a nice looking man stepped in.

"Hello, Agent Rogers," he greeted with a small smile. "My name is Agent Coulson."

"Where am I?" She immediately asked. "I should be dead."

"What do you remember?"

"I remember being on Schmidt's plane with Steve. They were fighting while I was trying to get... get to this blue cube." She lifted up her hand, turning it as if she was reliving the moments. "Schmidt disappeared after grabbing it. Then I... then I grabbed it. It burned me and the cube and I feel through the ship and into the ocean... it's all black after that." Y/N looked Agent Coulson dead in the eyes. "I should be dead. Why am I not?"

"That's what we're still trying to figure out."

"We?"

"The Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division."

"That's a mouth full."

"You would have known it as the SSR."

Y/N fell silent for a few minutes, just trying to process the little information she had. "How did you find me?"

"A scientific research team was studying up in the Arctic. You were found in a block of ice." Suddenly a picture showed up on the wall of Y/N in a block of ice, tinted blue. Y/N flinched back, scared of what was happening. Coulson could tell she was getting more uncomfortable. "Don't worry, it's just a screen. It shows things like pictures and videos."

Y/N let out a shaky breath as she nodded. She knew she couldn't be in the forties. The room design alone felt off. There were thin screens, basically in the wall. Plus what the man, Agent Coulson, was wearing. It was clearly a suit, just not a design she was familiar with.

"What's the date today?" Y/N whispered.

"I'm not sure that-"

"What's today's date?" She repeated, harsher this time.

The door swung open suddenly, a man wearing a black, leather trench coat and an eye patch, stepped into the room.

"The date is July 4th, 2008," the eye patch man answered. "You've been asleep for 63 years, Agent Rogers." Y/N took a deep breath, tears quickly forming in her eyes.

"Are you okay Agent?" Coulson asked.

"Yeah," Y/N swallowed. "It's just... It's Stevie's birthday today... It's- It's my birthday."