three

Bucky and Y/N shared a few more kisses before parting. Y/N cried the whole time they said good-bye. Bucky was able to hold it in until she was in her apartment. She didn't get very much sleep last night. And when she saw Steve the next morning, she noticed that he hadn't either. Her brother was also looking guilty. They ate breakfast in silence, with Y/N carefully watching Steve.

"You did it, didn't you?" She whispered once Y/N was sure she figured out what he was hiding. "You actually found someone who excepted you?"

Steve sighed. "Yes."

Y/N stared down at the table, silently, for a few long seconds before suddenly getting up and rushing to her room. She slammed the door shut and sobbed as she slid down the door. Who was stupid enough to take Steve? He had always been the sicker one of the twins. Y/N seemed to have received all the healthy genes while he got on the bad ones. She didn't move when a small knock sounded at her door. Instead, she buried her head in her knees.

"Y/N, please let me in," Steve pleaded. "I'm sorry, but you know it's the right thing."

"You're going to die, Steve!" She cried from her position on the other side of the door. "You'll be the first killed!"

"I really don't want to spend my last day with you like this... They were going to take me last night, but I insisted that I needed one more day with you. Just please, open this door."

"No!"

Steve rested his forehead against her bedroom door. One thing the twins had in common, their stubbornness. If she wasn't going to open the door for him, she wasn't going to open the door. He sighed as he turned around and slid down the door. He clenched his eyes shut at the pain the sound of her sobs were causing him. Steve could never stand his sister in pain. What he didn't realize is, that he wasn't the soul cause of it. Bucky had all but confessed his love for her and then left for the war. She didn't know if her heart could take anymore.

"There going to take me for basic training in the morning," Steve began, slowly. "I'm in the running for a chance to try a new treatment... some super soldier serum. A science experiment... From what I understand is that, if I don't get chosen then they'll release me from duty." Her head snapped up at what he was telling her. "I probably won't even see any real battles any way."

Y/N sighed, she knew she couldn't keep Steve out there all day. She would regret it as soon as he left. Slowly, she stood up, turned around, and grabbed hold of the door's handle. As soon as she turned the handle, Steve was up, waiting to pull her into his arms. Once she was in sight, he did just that. Steve held onto her as she sobbed into his chest. They stayed that way for most of the day. They were lucky Y/N didn't have a shift. Honestly, as the day went on, he became more terrified at the prospect of leaving her. Terrified of what she'd do to herself.

"You have to promise me something," Steve whispered after tucking Y/N in. Her puffy, red eyes meet his as he moved her hair out of her face. "If I have to promise to come back alive, then you have to promise that you won't just sit around here waiting. You need to get up and go to work, go on dates, just go out and do something. You have to promise me that you won't stay locked up in the apartment."

"Okay," she whispered. "I promise."

"I love you, Y/N/N. And I promise that I'll do whatever it takes to get back to you."

"Okay." She nodded. He kissed her forehead before getting up to leave. Y/N quickly grabbed his hand to stop him. "Please don't leave me tonight."

"I won't." Steve quickly laid next to his sister. "I won't leave you."