twenty-eight

"And how did you know he'd show up at the gala?" Fury questioned.

"I didn't," Y/N responded. "It was just a guess. Plus I would have gotten the information anyway."

"What made you think Obadiah Stane was behind everything?" Fury clasped his hands together on the table and leaned forward.

"Had a bad feeling about him from day one. Plus he was so sneaky and always watching a look at Tony's arc reactor."

"Tony, huh?" Fury leaned back. "So you and Mr. Stark got close?"

"He insisted that I called him Tony. Says Mr. Stark is for his father."

"Okay." Fury nodded, studying Y/N.

Y/N let him. Not giving him anything to doubt when it came to the mission report he had just questioned her about. She did try not to shiver at the draft that was flowing through the abandoned warehouse they were in.

"Well, good job, Agent Rogers," Fury said, standing up and shaking her hand. "Mission complete."

"Actually, sir," Y/N started, "I was thinking that I could stay on with Stark."

"You were?"

"With this whole suit thing, he needs to be watched still. I know that you're looking for people for your Avengers Initiative. I could see if he's a good candidate. If not, it's not bad to have eyes on someone with a weapon like that."

"And is that all?"

"Sir?"

"Is that the only reason why you're requesting to stay?"

"Yes."

Of course, they both knew that Y/N was lying. Y/N couldn't stand the thought of leaving Tony just yet. They were both struggling to sleep. And that one night they were able to get sleep, they actually got good sleep. Fury could see that she was developing feelings for the Stark, she just wasn't willing to admit it yet. He knew he shouldn't approve of her staying. But he was hopeful that maybe they could help each other. Y/N was still struggling, he knew that, but she seemed to be picking up the pieces during this mission.

"Okay," Fury said. "Request approved."

"Really?" She said a little too excitedly.

"Only if you're just going to watch him. And you make sure you check in with Coulson at least once a week."

"Of course, sir."

"Alright then, better head off to the press conference. I'm sure Mr. Stark is expecting you there."

"Thank you, sir."

Y/N gave Fury one last nod before quickly taking her leave. SHIELD had given her a motorcycle to use to get to the warehouse, and it was still outside waiting for her when she exited the building. She jumped on and was out of there before anyone could stop her. When she arrived at Stark Industries, Rhodey had already started the press conference. Y/N reached the back room to see Tony reading the newspaper as Pepper put make up on his face and Coulson told him his alibi.

"We have port papers that you in Avalon all night, and sworn statements from 50 of your guests," Coulson told Tony as he handed him index cards and Y/N walked in.

"See, I was thinking maybe we should say it was just me and one of my girls alone on the island."

"One of your girls?" Y/N entered the conversation. "That's not very professional, Mr. Stark."

"Ms. Barnes," Tony's eyes lit up at the sight of Y/N, "I've never been one for being professional." He scanned her up and down, having not seen her since the attack. His eyes lingered on the bandage on her forehead.