nineteen

Y/N monitored Tony through JARVIS for the next week. He was busily working on something, that was clear. But Y/N struggle to figure out what it was. It looked like he might be building some kind of robot or suit. She kept Coulson informed the best she could. But Tried to avoid calling him because the nightmares had started up again. They were of her falling, continuously. She decided that sleep didn't really matter though. Especially since she noticed that Tony wasn't really sleeping either.

Pepper caught Y/N throwing away the old chest piece, and asked if she could have it. Y/N, although a bit confused, let her take it. Pepper noticed that Tony and Y/N had been avoiding each other, but didn't question it. Tony often upset people. She believed that it would pass. Y/N was on the main floor with Pepper when Obadiah arrived one night.

"Pepper," he greeted, with a pizza box in his hand. "It's good to see you."

"Good to see you to, Obadiah," Pepper said. "Tony's locked himself in the workshop, but I'll buzz him to tell him that you're here."

"Thanks." Obadiah went straight to the grand piano after setting the pizza down on the coffee table. "Ms. Barnes."

"Mr. Stane?" Y/N questioned from her spot on the couch. That feeling she had when Y/N was first around him came back. Her mind telling her that this guy's bad news.

"How are you liking it here?" He asked as he began playing the piano.

"Definitely one of the more interesting jobs I've taken."

"And what are the other jobs you've taken?"

"Unfortunately, sir, that's classified."

Obadiah let out a little scoff. "Of course."

"He's not answering me," Pepper interrupted. "I'll go down and get him." She grabbed a few things and headed down the stairs.

"And how's Tony treating you?" Obadiah continued. "Shown you to his bed yet?"

"Mr. Stane, I don't think-"

"I'm just joking." He chuckled, almost darkly. "I can tell you're not that kind of girl. Like Pepper. You both are all about work."

"Aren't we all?" Y/N stared at Obadiah, meeting his eyes. "We should all be about the work. What's best for Stark Industries, correct?"

Before anything else could be said, Pepper came back up the stairs and began working on the chair situated next to the couch. Tony came up not long after.

"How'd it go?" Tony asked Obadiah as he made his way towards the couch. "It went that bad, huh?" Tony concluded when he saw the pizza on the coffee table as Obadiah continued to play the piano.

"Just because I brought pizza back from New York doesn't mean it went bad," Obadiah stated.

"Sure doesn't. Oh, boy." Tony plopped down beside Y/N on the couch and grabbed a slice of pizza.

"It would have gone better if you were there."

"Uh-huh. You told me to lay low. That's what I've been doing. I lay low, and you take care of all-"

"Hey, come on. In public. The press." Obadiah stood up, coming over and sitting himself on the other side of Tony. "This was a board of directors meeting."

"This was a board of directors meeting?"

Red flags immediately came up in Y/N's mind. If it was a board of directors meeting, Pepper would have even known about and would have fought Tony to get there. Something wasn't right. And if Tony was as smart as everyone believed he was, he should have noticed the red flags too. But he seemly hadn't.

"The board is claiming you have post-traumatic stress," Obadiah continued. "They're filing an injunction."

"A what?"

"They want to lock you out."

"Why, 'cause the stocks dipped 40 points? We know that was gonna happen."

"Fifty-six and a half," Pepper corrected.

"It doesn't matter. We own the controlling interest in the company."

"Tony, the board has rights, too," Obadiah stated. "They're making the case that you and your new direction isn't in the company's best interest."

They're making the case or you are Stane, Y/N thought.

"I'm being responsible!" Tony defended. "That's a new direction for me, for the company. I mean, me on the company's behalf being responsible for the way that... This is great." Tony stood up and headed for the stairs, taking the pizza box with him.

"Oh, come on. Tony." Obadiah followed Tony. "Tony."

"I'll be in the shop."

"Hey, hey! Hey, Tony. Listen. I'm trying to turn this thing around, but you gotta give me something. Something to pitch them. Let me have the engineers analyze that. You know, draw up some specs."

"No. No, absolutely not."

"It'll give me a bone to throw the boys in New York!"

"This one stays with me. That's it, Obie. Forget it."

"All right, well, this stays with me, then." Obadiah rips the pizza box from Tony's hands. "Go on, here," he opened the box back up, "you can have a piece. Take two."

"Thank you."

"You mind if I come down there and see what you're doing?"

"Good night, Obie," Tony shouted as he headed back down to the workshop.

"There's no point in going after him," Y/N stated, folding her arms over her chest and leaning back into the couch. "I've been locked out for the last few days. But you should already know how hard it is to get Mr. Stark to listen."

"Would you care to see me out then, Ms. Barnes?"

"It would be my pleasure." Y/N stood up and walked over to the door. Obadiah following suit. She opened the door for him.

"Thank you." Stane gave her a slight nod as he walked through the doorway. "You should be careful with your that mouth of yours Ms. Barnes. It might get you into trouble one day."

"As will yours."

Obadiah stopped in his tracks and glanced over his shoulder. "Good night, Ms. Barnes. I have a feeling we'll be seeing each other soon." He then continued to his car.

"All too soon," Y/N muttered to herself. "All too soon."