ten

That night, everyone was gathered around a table to prepare a plan to take down HYDRA at their headquarters.

"Johann Schmidt belongs in a bug house," Phillips stated. "He thinks he's a God. He's willing to blow up half the world to prove it, starting with the USA."

"Schmidt's working with powers beyond our capabilities," Howard Stark said. "He gets across the Atlantic, he will wipe out the entire eastern sea board in an hour."

"How much time we got?" Gabe asked.

"According to my new best friend, under twenty four hours," Phillips answered.

"Where is he now?" Y/N asked.

"HYDRA's last base is here." Phillips pointed to a photo of the base. "In the Alps. Five hundred feet below the surface."

"So, what are we supposed to do?" Jim Morita asked. "I mean, it's not like we can just knock on the front door."

"Why not?" Steve retorted, causing everyone to look at him. "That's exactly what we're gonna do."

"You can't be serious?" Y/N questioned. Steve met her eyes and she knew he was dead serious. "I'm coming with you then."

"No." He shook his head. "You can come when everyone else does."

"You're not going in alone!" Y/N stood up and slammed on the table.

"Agent Rogers," Phillips demanded. "I was thinking about allowing you to pair up with the Captain. But with that out burst, I don't think you're ready."

"You were actually going to agree with her?" Steve asked, harshly.

"Agent Rogers has surpassed all the tests we've given her. Even more. Her hand to hand combat beats most of the men in this room. It's obviously her emotions that are going to get the best of her."

"I can do it, Sir," Y/N begged. "I'm ready."

"I can't-"

"You haven't been here, Captain," Y/N cut her brother off. "I have trained for more than office work. I've had to do something to keep my mind off what's happening outside these walls. You've gotten to fight. You've gotten your wish. Now let me have mine."

"I'm going to vouch for Y/N on this one," Howard spoke up. "She's ready. More ready than most of the men that will accompany you."

After almost putting the whole plan together, Colonel Phillips decided to let Y/N go in with her brother. Steve was not at all happy that Y/N was coming with him, but he'd rather have her by his side so that he could protect her himself. Though he was really doubting if he'd be able to do that, since he wasn't able to do it for Bucky.

Howard was the one to suit Y/N up. He had already had a suit made for her, figuring she would be joining Steve on the battle field sooner or later, whether anyone liked it or not. It was red, white, and blue, just like her brothers.

"Great, now there's going to be two American flags running around," Y/N mumbled, looking at herself in the mirror.

"I thought it would be best if you two were matching," Howard stated. "You know, for appearances and all."

"They call him, Captain America." Y/N turned around, setting her hands on her hips as she looked at Howard. "What do you expect them to call me?"

"Miss America?" Y/N cringed. "Agent America? Or... or, how about Lady America?"

"Lady America? Well it's not the worst one you've come up with."

Howard watched silently as Y/N braided her hair back, checked her guns, and finished suiting up. He was worried about her going in. Yes, Howard had vouched for her, but she wasn't a super soldier. She was just an agent. Yes, an agent with incredible skill, but she was just an agent.

"I need you to be safe out there, Y/N," Howard said, walking up to her and setting his hands on her arms. "You are not a super soldier like your brother. And you do not have to take revenge on Barnes. Do your best, yes. But don't try to get yourself killed. It's not going to help anyone."

Y/N pulled the man in for a hug. "Thank you, Howard. For everything." She pressed a kiss to his cheek before pulling away. "I'll try my best to not do anything stupid."

"Promise?"

"I... I don't like promising anything anymore... You can't- Promises can't be kept. But I'll try my best."

"Please. I need my favorite Rogers to come back in one piece."

"Your favorite, huh?" Y/N chuckled. "Well I appreciate the complement."

"Just keeping them for you, kid." He held a kiss to her forehead. "I trust you to come back. Watch out for your brother, but come back."

She could tell that Howard was trying to convey his feelings without spooking her. She gave him one last kiss on the cheek before leaving to the jet. Y/N had just lost the man she loved. She couldn't let Howard slip in because of grief, no matter how long he's really cared, or even if he really cared. He's a playboy for crying out loud. Is he even capable of real feelings?