seventy-one

Y/N woke up in her bedroom. Leg wrapped up and with still a slight buzzing in her head. Why did everything have to come back to that stupid cube? She reached over to her phone, quickly sending Tony a text saying that she was coming home after this mission. She sighed, leaning back into bed and closing her eyes. The door to her room slid open. Y/N peaked one eye open to see Coulson standing there.

"Why did you say anything about getting hit?" He asked.

She closed her eyes again. "Because we were in the middle of an ambush and my head was buzzing," she answered.

"Buzzing? Like when-"

"Like when I came in contact with the Tesseract that second time. Yep. I felt it in the temple. I just didn't put the pieces together."

"Know anything about it, that we don't already know?"

"Actually, yes. But... I can't share that burden with anyone else."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that I can't tell you." She opened her eyes to look at her friend. "And I'll be taking a break after this mission."

"Understandable. But you need to be honest with us about what you know about the Tesseract."

"If I were to do that, the information would get out to Fury and that's where the danger lies. I will not allow Fury to use the information I know against anyone. Now, can I be left alone."

"Y/N-"

"Now."

Coulson sighed, before moving from the small doorway but leaving it open. After a few minutes of laying there, Y/N could sense that something was wrong. So she slipped out of bed and hobbled over to where Ward and Skye were sitting on the couches. Y/N and Ward's eyes met, letting Y/N know she wasn't the only one sensing trouble.

"Skye, hand me the bottle," Ward ordered.

"Okay, Turbo," she answered, clearly not sensing the danger. "But you're still nursing the one you got."

"He's not the only one," Y/N said, looking at Camilla's men who were planning cards nearby.

Suddenly, Ward shoved Skye and Y/N out of the way, starting to fight off the men. Y/N took a deep breath and got up off the floor to help. She began to throw punches and kicks at the men, burying the pain down. Skye watched in awe at the whole thing. The two had put down the men with them and where breathing heavily as Coulson and Camilla raced down from the top level. The screen got their eye. It was showing a man holding a knife to Fitz' throat. A man quickly came up from behind Skye, grabbing her.

"We were allies," Coulson said, stalking towards Camilla. "We had history. When did you decide to throw that away?"

"As soon as I saw your team," Camilla answered, stone faced.

Ward, Y/N, and Skye were led down to the ramp, where Fitz-Simmons was already tied up. They soon were joined by an unconscious May. The pain in Y/N's leg was bothering her now and she was wishing she had taken some drugs before the fight.

"This is my fault," Fitz said. "Should have learned kung fu."

"Oh, yeah, but I shouldn't have pushed you into the field in the first place," Simmons said. "You weren't ready."

"It was my job to make a proper threat assessment," Ward stated. Fitz-Simmons and Ward began talking over themselves.

"This wouldn't have happened if Agent May wasn't on the stick," Skye said, bringing everyone's attention to her. "She would have busted out some of her ninja know-how."