fifty-seven

Y/N left on the mission without saying goodbye to Steve or Tony. Steve's words drove her crazy, causing her to stop communications with both the men before her mission. When she came back, Steve was in the hanger waiting for her. She just walked passed him, not batting an eye. Y/N quickly moved into her own apartment. She was almost a hundred years old, and still living with her twin brother. It was a little ridiculous. Of course, Y/N didn't move too far from Steve. She was still in the same building as him.

Tony kept bombarding Y/N's phone with text messages, phone calls, and voicemails. He was not happy that she had decided to play this game again. But she had started to take some of what Steve said to heart. Was she getting too close? Would her desires ruin Tony and Pepper's relationship? Y/N definitely didn't want that. Tony was happy, which was a rare thing for many of them to find these days.

So Y/N kept requesting missions, and kept being reckless on them. Fury was impressed that Y/N was going over the top with the completion of each mission, but also worried about her recklessness. He didn't want to lose one of his top agents, again.

It had been a hard mission for Y/N. It had been a solo one, and there were more men there than the intel had said. The fight ended with her the only one sided, albeit battered and bruised. She limped into the quinjet, setting it for autopilot. As the quinjet flew, she tried to take care of her biggest injuries. She had a long cut up her right thigh and one on her left fore arm, both bleeding pretty badly. As she breathed, Y/N could tell she had a few ribs that were at least bruised. The more she moved around to deal with her cuts, the dizzier she got. Leaning back, Y/N closed her eyes and focused on her breathing until she landed. She counted the minutes until she'd be back at the Triskelion.

Suddenly, something landed on top of the quinjet, shaking it. Y/N jolted up, grabbing the gun beside her. She slowly stood up, aiming for the opening ramp. The gun didn't lower as Y/N watched Iron Man land in the quinjet. Iron Man walked further into the quinjet as the ramp went back up.

"What are you doing here, Tony?" Y/N asked, gun unmoving.

The face plate opened to reveal an angry Tony. "I'm checking to make sure that you're still alive," Tony said. "Since you're refusing to answer me. And, from me asking around, it sounds like your aren't talking to your brother and you're being reckless on missions."

She lowered her gun, throwing it on the bench she had previously been sitting on. "I'm fine," she replied, curtly. "Thank you for the check in. But it's really not necessary. And I'll try to answer you more."

"That's not-" Tony shook his head. "I thought we were getting good again. What's going on with you?"

"Nothing. I'm just focusing on work."

"Focusing on work? Really? You think that excuse can fool me?"

"I- woah..." Y/N reached out to hold onto the wall of the jet as her other hand went up to hold her head.

"Y/N?" Tony rushed over, still in his suit. "What's wrong?"

"It appears that Miss Rogers is bleeding on her thigh and arm," JARVIS stated. "If not treated properly soon, I'm afraid she won't survive."

"I'm fine," Y/n swatted Tony's reaching hands away. But as she tried to move, her knees gave way. Luckily, Tony caught her before she could face plant.

"You're not fine, Y/N/N." Tony laid her on the bench before getting out of the suit and grabbing the first aid kit. He knelt down beside her as he looked through the kit. "It appears that there's not anything to help numb the pain in here. But I need to start closing those cuts or you're going to bleed to death."