seventy-nine

Y/N finally washed up, taking her time. When she was out, they were landing at the SHIELD medical facility in Switzerland. They rushed her in, doctors meeting them. Coulson and Simmons went with the doctors, to explain what had happened, while everyone else went to a waiting room. Y/N tried to sit the furtherest away from everyone, but that plan was spoiled when Ward sat next to her.

"It's not your fault," he told her quietly. "You're not the one that shot her."

"I know," Y/N responded. She leaned forward, resting her hands in her head. "Just can't help feel that way."

Ward set a hand on her back. "Have you called Stark?"

"I did... he helped. But, after we find out what's going on, I'm going home. For the sake of my metal health and my relationship."

"Understandable... Team's not the same when you're gone."

"You saying you'll miss me Ward?" Y/N gave Ward a teasing look.

"I didn't say that, no."

"Good. Cause that means you'd be a people person if you did."

Simmons came back with Coulson, and the team was guided to a more secluded room. Coulson and May stayed standing, Coulson trying to get a hold of Fury while Fitz-Simmons sat together on the couch and Y/N and Ward each had an arm chair on either side of the couch.

"I'm here. That's unacceptable," Coulson said into the phone. "I need to speak to Director Fury immediately, please."

"Why didn't I stop her?" Fitz questioned. "I could have."

"So could I," Y/N agreed.

"As if you could stop Skye doing anything she's set her mind to," Simmons said.

"We shouldn't have let her go after Quinn by herself?" Fitz continued. "What we were thinking?"

"It's not your fault," Ward added, looking at Coulson. "She shouldn't have been there. I'm her SO. It's on me."

"It's on me," Y/N said. "I was the lead agent there. I should have been more firm with her."

"The one to blame is the man who shot her, Ian Quinn," May spoke up. "He's responsible."

"Yes, the message is, I have an agent dying," Coulson spoke, still on the phone. "And there are questions only he can answer."

He hung up the phone and slammed it onto the table. The team watched as Coulson paced a little before quickly leaving the room. No one had the energy or heart to stop him.

~~~

They had been waiting for hours, when the doctor finally arrived with news. They all stood up when she entered.

"How is she?" Coulson asked.

"Not good," she responded. "The shots perforated her stomach and penetrated the large and small intestines. We resected what we could, but... there's been too much damage."

"So what's next?"

"We can keep her comfortable, but you'll need to make a decision on whether or not you want to keep her on life support."

"You're saying there's nothing to be done?"

"I'm saying you need to call her family and get them here as soon as possible."

"We're her family."

"In that case, I'm very sorry."

Y/N put a hand to her mouth before running off, May following. She ran all the way to the bus, getting angrier with each step. Basically on autopilot, Y/N was taken to the interrogation room with May right behind her.