thirty-six

After everyone had gotten bandaged up and Tony had visited the attacker in prison, they were back on the jet flying home. Pepper was in the main cabin, watching the news, Tony was no where to be found, and Y/N was laying on a bed in the back cabin. Her foot had been wrapped up. The doctor told her to stay off it and gave her more wrap and medication for it. She was frustrated at the whole incident. She was thinking about it all, with her arm wrapped over her arms, when someone was heard entering. Y/N didn't even bother looking. She felt a dip in the bed and immediately knew it was Tony.

"Can I sign it?" He asked. "I know you have to rewrap it everyday, but that just means I get to sign it everyday."

"Go away, Tony," Y/N said quietly, turning away from him. She let out a little whine, as she moved her foot in the wrong way.

"I brought you something." Y/N finally looked at Tony, clearly confused and annoyed. He lifted a lid off the plate he was holding.

"What is that?"

"This is your in-flight meal."

"Did you just make that?"

"Yeah. Where do you think I've been for three hours."

"Tony... why can't you just tell me?"

"I don't want to go home. At all. Let's cancel my birthday party and... we're in Europe. Let's go to Venice, Cipriani."

"Why?"

"It's a great place to be healthy."

"Are you saying you're not? Or I'm not?"

"No... I'm just saying that-"

"It's really not a good time, right now. Everything's kind of a mess."

"Yeah, but maybe that's why it's the best time. Cause then we can-"

"Can what? I need to heal and help Pepper clean up this Monaco fiasco. And you... you need to think about how you're acting."

"I... is there anything I can do for you?"

"Yes, two things. One, stop doing stupid shit. And two, never, and I mean never, blame lack of security on you getting attacked again. That wouldn't have happened if you hadn't decided to drive that death trap."

"Understood."

"I'm serious Tony. Do anything like that again, I'm walking. And you'll never see me again."

Fear filled Tony's gut. He didn't want to lose her. He couldn't. But at the same time, he was already losing her. Tony was dying, so he wouldn't be able to have Y/N by his side for much longer. He sighed, looking away from her. He either needed to tell her the truth or push her away completely. And, honestly, he was terrified to do either.