eighty-two

By the time Y/N landed in DC, Steve had left her a message saying that he would be out of his apartment for most of the day. She stopped by there before heading out to find her brother.

Y/N knew exactly where Steve would be. The Smithsonian, specifically the exhibit dedicated to Captain America. She wandered the the exhibit, trying not to get too into it as she searched for her brother. She froze though, as she always did when visiting, at the display honoring Bucky.

"Best friends since childhood," the narrator said, "Bucky Barnes and Steven Rogers were inseparable on both schoolyard and battlefield. Barnes is the only Howling Commando to give his life in service of his country."

Y/N moved over a little to see the section that spoke about her. Ever since she found out about the exhibit, Y/N had never had the guts to go over to that section. Today though, she took a deep breath and went over.

"Y/N Rogers. Born the healthier one of the Rogers twins and the third member of the friend group," the narrator stated. "Traveling with her brother, she trained with the SSR. Becoming the SSR's record holder in all categories for trainees. Y/N climbed the SSR lander all while hoping that her brother and best friend were safe."

She moved over to the screen, that began playing a video of a younger Howard Stark.

"Y/N Rogers was a woman in and of herself," the man said. "She was caring and gentle, but wasn't ever afraid to put you in your place." Howard gained a far off look in his eye. "Y/N was the most amazing woman I've ever met."

Before Y/N could hear anymore, she rushed to the next station. Which turned out to be even harder for her.

"Unknown to everyone but their close friends, Bucky Barnes and Y/N Rogers began a relationship. They sent letters to each other throughout the war." Y/N glanced down, seeing the letters int he glass cases. "Unfortunately, it ended when Sargent Barnes' live was lost and then, shortly after, with the Rogers twins sacrifice."

She was so caught up in watching the screen, that she didn't notice the tears falling onto her cheeks or that someone was coming up behind her. But as soon as the hand touched her shoulder, she jumped into action, pinning the person against the wall behind her.

"Really?" Steve gasped, struggling with Y/N's arm pressed against his neck.

"Oh! I'm so sorry, Stevie," Y/N apologized, pulling her arm away.

"That's alright," he answered, rubbing his neck. "I should have known not to sneak up on you like that... Especially here."

"Yeah... Never ventured into my section before. Decided today might as well be the day."

Steve could tell that Y/N was struggling with the memories the exhibit brought up. He sighed before swinging his arm over her shoulders and leading them away.

"I was just about to go and visit Peggy," he stated. "You want to come?"

"I'd like that... I haven't visited her in too long."

~~~

Peggy was definitely worse than the last time Y/N had visited. It saddened her greatly. Peggy was the last living connection that Y/N and Steve had to their past. But she was fading, fast. Y/N sat in a chair on Peggy's left, while Steve sat on her right. Steve's eyes were studying the family photos by Peggy's beside. Which always confused Y/N, the photos were just of her children. None of her husband.

"You should be proud of yourself Peggy," Steve stated.

"Mm," Peggy hummed. "I have lived a life. My only regret is that you two didn't get to live yours." Steve's eyes grew sad, which both women immediately noticed. "What is it?"