forty-nine

Not too long into getting started with Bruce, Y/N was called to go to Germany with Steve and Natasha. Apparently, Loki was there, and they needed to take him into custody. The three who were going, suited up quickly. Y/N and Steve sat next to each other on the ride over in the quinjet.

"Last time I was in Germany, we were fighting a war," Y/N reminisced.

"Same," Steve chuckled, lightly. He turned so that he was facing her more. "On the deck of the helicarrier, you mentioned that you needed to talk to me. What about?"

Y/N sighed. "When I was put in charge of guarding the Tesseract, we found something."

"Yes, okay. Fury mentioned that. But what?"

"We found that I'm connected to it."

"What?"

"Like, I can feel it, sense it. It's... weird. And too hard to explain. Not like I can even explain it."

Steve wrapped on arm around Y/N, pulling her into his side. "It's okay. We'll figure it out."

Y/N and Nat stayed on the quinjet while Steve went to deal with Loki on the ground. The women watched as Captain America walked up into the crowd of people that Loki had commanded to kneel.

"You know," they heard Steve start through the comms, "the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing."

"The soldier," Loki stood up, teasing smile on his face. "A man out of time."

"I'm not the one who's out of time."

That's when Nat swooped in with the quinjet and Y/N pointed the ships machine gun at Loki.

"Loki," Natasha called from inside the aircraft, "drop the weapon and stand down."

Swiftly, Loki sent a blast of blue at the quinjet. Natasha maneuvered it just in time, giving the Captain time to throw his shield as Loki. They dueled it out as Y/N nervously watched from the quinjet.

"Wait," she whispered. Nat turned to give her, her full attention. "How did he know about Steve?"

"Barton must have gave him information," Nat replied.

"I don't think that's it."

Y/N's head buzzed as Loki continued to use the spear to fight her brother. The Stone embedded onto it, fueling his power. The two men continued to go back and forth, Loki also using his other powers to fight Steve.

"This guy's all over the place," Natasha stated.

Suddenly, ACDC's "Shoot to Thrill" began to play through the quinjet's speakers. Y/N immediately tensed up, there was only one person that could be.

"Agent Romanoff, did you miss me?" Tony asked over the comms. Y/N couldn't tell if he deliberately ignored her presence.

Tony blasted Loki to the ground. And before Y/N knew it, Loki was chained up and was being escorted onto the quinjet. He gave Y/N a wicked grin as Tony through him into on of the seats. Y/N stayed close to the front as she watched Tony take off his helmet. He immediately turned to met her gaze with a timid smile. She quickly looked the other way. Natasha was quick to get them up in the air and headed back to the helicarrier. Steve studied Loki as Tony carefully walked up to Y/N.

"What? Can't even spare me a glance?" Tony tried to joke, small smile on his face and all.

"You don't deserve a glance," Y/N stated.

"Come on, Y/N.." Tony tried to grab Y/N's hand.

"Don't!" She said harshly, pulling her hand away.