fifty-six

The mansion was the same as she remembered it, but at the same time it wasn't. The last time she had been there, it had been destroyed by Rhodey and Tony's fighting. Now, it was put back together, obviously more to Pepper's liking than before. Y/N followed behind Tony, silently, as they walked down to the workshop. She nervously began chewing on her lip. Now that she was actually with Tony, everything she had prepared to say had left her.

"Rhodey called me earlier," Tony spoke up, going straight to his work station. "Told me you were in town and had meet up with him."

"Yeah," Y/N responded quietly, nervously looking around the room. It hadn't really changed, besides the wall of suits. "The mission ended early and I wanted to visit with a friend."

"A friend?" Tony scoffed, turning to look at Y/N. "I thought I was your friend." Y/N averted her eyes, unable to look at Tony without crying. "You forgive me for everything, while I'm in the midst of sacrificing myself, mind you. But then I survived and you begin avoiding me again. Why? Did you only say those things because you thought I was dying?" Y/N clenched her eyes shut, trying to stop the tears wanting to escape. "Steve told me that you're blaming yourself for things out of your control. Why?" Y/N let in a struggled breath. "Y/N, look at me, please." She shook her head. "Y/N..."

Tony moved closer to her. He went to move some of her hair away from her her face but she flinched away and stepped back.

"Don't," her voice broke as it spoke. "I almost killed you... I closed that portal without knowing that you're okay..."

"None of that was your fault! You hear me?" Tony grabbed Y/N by the arms, trying to shake some sense into her. "I chose to send that nuke up into that portal. Not you. You and I were just doing our jobs." He pulled her chin to face him, trying to get her to look at him. "Who knows what would have happened if you hadn't had closed that portal when you did." He put his hands on the side of her face, thumbs catching her tears. "I am alive. And I promise, that I'm not mad at you for anything. Well, besides ignoring me for extremely stupid reasons."

"How can you even look at me?"

"Because I know that you didn't have anything to do with what happened in New York."

Finally allowing herself to break down, she wrapped her arms around Tony and hid her face in his chest. Her sobs racked her body as Tony held her close and tried to comfort her. It felt good, too good for someone who's in a relationship, to have Y/N back in his arms. He had barely slept since New York, always picturing what he saw when he went through the hole. But with her back in his arms, he felt like he could fall asleep right there.

Tony carefully moved them to the couch, allowing them a more comfortable place for Y/N to let out her emotions. It took a while for Y/N to calm down. And by the time she did, she was ready to fall asleep.

"I'm sorry," she rasped. She sat up, moving herself away from Tony. "I keep you up and away from Pepper. I should go."

Y/N stood up to leave but Tony's hand shot out to grab hers. Her breath hitched as his hand came in contact with her scarred one. He was the only one that ever touched her hand with care. She turned her head to find Tony looking at her with his big, brown eyes.

"No! Please, stay," he pleaded.

"I can't." Y/N shook her head.

"Says who?" She didn't answer. "Just for tonight. Please, stay."

Y/N took a deep breath, weighing her options. She hadn't had a good nights rest in what seemed like forever. Probably since the last time her and Tony slept together. It's not like they were going to have sex. They were just going to help each other sleep.