hundred four

The "new" SHIELD's border members, Gonzalez, Oliver, and Weaver were in the room, along with Bobbi and May. There was little time for chitchat, the meeting began right away. Y/N and Coulson started with the news footage, playing on stations around the world.

"Cards on the table," Coulson said, throwing an access lanyard for the helicarrier onto the table.

"Obviously, you and Fury have been keeping busy," Gonzalez commented.

"What can I say? I'm a company man. With the fall of SHIELD, Fury felt we needed a failsafe. Something completely off the books, a break in case of emergency type of thing."

"Seems like you broke it wide open," Weaver replied.

"And saved the day in the process," Bobbi added. Y/N immediately noticed the look Weaver and Oliver shot Bobbi.

"Excuse me, but you weren't there," Y/N said, anger lacing her words. "If it weren't for the helicarrier, hundreds of thousands of people would be dead. Breaking it wide open was the only option.

"What Agent Rogers is trying to say is that, what's transpired over the last week is a lot to take in," Coulson said. "We know. When I found out that this ship had survived HYDRA's attack, and still had that classified cargo on board, that you placed spies on my base, that I couldn't keep my own people safe...I felt like I'd failed as director. And the truth is, I did." He laughed a bit, looking down. "A coup will make you think about things like that. I tried to do it all alone. That was a mistake. Even Fury had a world council watching over him, providing guidance."

"What are you suggesting?" Gonzalez asked.

"One SHIELD, where I operate as director under your advisement." Gonzalez shared a look with Bobbi, Weaver, and Oliver. "This way, we'll have a cool underground base and a boat."

"It's hard to argue with a man who helped prevent Ultron from killing thousands of people. But there are plenty more battles to be won and one closer to home that I fear the helicarrier won't solve."

~~~

After the meeting, Y/N escaped to the medical wing for some medication for her leg. May had followed her there.

"You okay?" May asked, folding her arms as she watched Y/N.

"I'll live," Y/N responded with a wince.

"Fury make you come here?"

"What do you think? He couldn't stand the thought of Phil getting pushed out of the director's seat. You still mad he kept Theta Protocol a secret?"

"I won't be forgiving him that easily."

"He did help save thousands of people."

"So did you." May silently observed Y/N as she rewrapped her injured leg. "Does Stark know you're here?"

"I couldn't disappear after a world ending fight without telling him."

"Hmm," May hummed with a nod. "Something's different," May thought. "Something happened."

"Aren't you intuitive," Y/N laughed out loud.

"What?"

"You noticed something is different."

"How did you-"

"What's different is that I can now read minds."

"What?" Coulson questioned from the door way.

"The Mind Stone in Loki's scepter. I can also control minds. Came in handy when Steve and Tony started at each others throats."

"And you didn't think to tell me sooner?" Coulson stepped forward.