twenty-two

"What is going on here?"

That voice rang out, causing both Tony and Y/N to jump up from their peaceful sleep. Y/N rubbed her eyes before focusing on the person who had woken them up. Pepper Potts was standing at the entrance of the workshop, a full cupholder in one hand and files in the other.

"Are you two sleeping together now?" She asked, taking a few steps towards the two.

"Do you have to assume the worst, Pep?" Tony quipped, stretching out his limbs. "We were just sleeping."

"It's true, Miss Potts," JARVIS confirmed. "It's the best rest either of them has gotten in weeks."

"Fine then. I'm leaving early today so Tony, here's the files I need you to look at." Pepper handed Tony the files. "And Y/N, I need to speak with you. Alone."

"Of course," Y/N nodded, standing up. "I'll meet you upstairs."

Y/N quickly headed up the stairs. Slightly embarrassed that she and Y/N had been caught, Y/N busied herself with making breakfast.

"Did he do anything inappropriate?" Pepper suddenly asked as she arrived in the kitchen.

"Just like he said, Pepper, we were just sleeping."

"Mhm... Okay. I believe you. I've been meaning to ask you. There's a benefit tonight. I'm going but I was wondering if you wanted to go as well."

"Will Tony be going?"

"I don't think that it's a smart idea for him to be out and about just yet."

"I have to stay here then. I can't-"

"Yes you can. You need the day off. Especially after... well after yesterday."

"I don't-"

"Y/N. At least think about it."

"Okay."

After breakfast, Y/N went outside to call Coulson."

"Any news?" Coulson answered the phone.

"I had a panic attack yesterday in front of Tony and his assistant."

"Are you okay?" Coulson's voice was immediately concerned.

"I'm fine. I just... I still think this mission is a bad idea. But I am going with it. There's a benefit tonight. Tony's not allowed to come, but Pepper has invited me. I don't know if I should leave Tony alone, but I'm pretty sure Obadiah Stane will be there and I need to get more on him. I... I just have this feeling Phil. Like Tony's disappearance hits closer to home than we think. What do you think? Should I go?"

"I think that you should go to the benefit. I've heard about it as well and was planning on making an appearance. We can send a few agents to watch the Stark property while you're away."

"Are you sure? I don't want Fury-"

"Don't worry about Director Fury. If he says anything, I've got it."

"Thank you, Phil."

"Are you sure you're alright, Y/N/N?"

"I'm fine. Really, Phil. I'm handling it. Using it to my advantage. I'll see you tonight."

Y/N went in and immediately told Pepper that she would be at the benefit. Pepper told her that she had brought some dresses over and had them up in Y/N's room already for her to try on. Pepper warned Y/N that she would need to tell Tony she would be gone for the night, but not to mention where. Y/N agreed and headed down to the workshop to speak with Tony. Tony was working on some of his suit when she entered.

"Hey," she greeted. "I just wanted to thank you for last night."

"It's not a big deal," he said, giving her a small smile.

"Thank you anyway. Also, I won't be here tonight as well."

"What?" Tony looked at her, confused. "I thought you were suppose to watch me?"

"JARVIS is going to be your babysitter tonight. And don't you think about doing anything like last night because JARVIS will notify me immediately."

"Where are you going?"

"One of my close friends is in town and wants to get together."

"Oh." He looked back down, tinkering once again. "And is this friend..."

"He's just a friend Tony," she quickly responded.

Y/N realized that she probably responded too quickly. Though she didn't really understand why. Last night didn't change anything, did it? Not like she didn't like Tony before. She was just struggling to get to know him since this was a mission and all. Feelings have no place on a mission.

"Just a friend," he repeated quietly. "Good."

"So, again, don't do anything stupid or I'll hear about it and have to come home and deal with it. Got it?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"I'm serious, Tony."

"As am I. I promise not to do anything stupid until you get back."