ninety-one

Fitz was awake, the reunion with Simmons weighed on his mind. It didn't go well because he didn't know what to say. So he was sitting up in his room, struggling. That's when he heard it. Her cries. Y/N's cries. Timidly, he got up and walked to her door. He leaned his ear against the door to check on her.

"Would you like me to notify Mr. Stark?" He heard a voice ask.

"N-noo," Y/N responded shakily.

Hesitantly, Fitz knocked on the door.

"Y/N," he called. "Are you okay? I-I heard you-"

"I'm fine," she quickly replied, clearly the opposite of the response she gave.

Fitz sighed as he grabbed the door nob and opened the door. What he saw, hurt him. Y/N was on her bed, trembling. Her forehead rested on her knees as she rocked herself. Carefully, Fitz closed the door and came further into the room. When Y/N looked up, her eyes were red and puffy. Fitz awkwardly sat on the bed.

"Who was it about, uh... this time?" He quietly asked.

Y/N took a deep breath. "It wasn't a who," she whispered. "It's a what..." Fitz looked at her curiously. "It's yellow and the buzzing almost never leaves."

"Is it like... Coulson told us once about, uh... the..." He snapped his fingers as he turned to put his thoughts together. "The..."

"Tesseract."

"Yeah. And how you're somehow connected to it. Is it like that?"

"Yes. I... They..." Y/N shook her head. "I really can't talk about it."

"Okay," Fitz nodded. "Do you, uh... want me to stay?"

"No. You need to rest."

"I'm seeming to have a hard time doing that."

"You could stay if you wanted to."

Fitz nodded. "Thanks."

Fitz stood up and headed over to the small couch that resided on the side of Y/N's room. There was two pillows and a blanket on it. Fitz piled the pillows up on one side before laying down and laying the blanket over himself.

"You good if I turn off the lamp?" Y/N asked, after having tucked herself in as well. Fitz nodded. "Okay." She turned off the lamp. "Good night, Fitz."

~~~

Y/N was up early the next morning, quietly sneaking out as to not wake Fitz sleeping on her couch. She wandered into the common room to see Skye already there, turning on a monitor.

"What are you doing up so early?" Y/N asked, coming closer.

"Couldn't sleep," Skye responded, pulling up the live footage of Ward.

"Seems to be going around."

The two stood together, watching as Ward worked out.

"5:30 on the dot every morning," Simmons stated from behind them. "But there's no clock, no light, no way he can know what time it is."

"You've been watching him?" Skye wondered.

"Every day before I left, every day since I got back. I don't know how either of you do it, going down there, talking to him."

"Sacrifices we make for valuable intel, right?"

"Yeah."

"Jemma Simmons, undercover at HYDRA."

Simmons gave a shy smile and shook her head. "I thought I was a dead woman at least four times."

"Well, we're glad you're not," Y/N said.