Chapter 1

To say Aurora Karev had an easy life would be a complete lie. As her father left her and Alex to look after their mom and younger sister. Also her mom was schizophrenic which meant both Alex and Aurora had to step up for their younger siblings Aaron and Amber.

Aurora sat reading her magazine at Dereks desk as he continued to work on his paperwork as he looked over at his student and friend. "Do you not have anything you could be doing?" Derek says looking at her as she rolls her eyes.

"I'm waiting for my best friend to get a surgery because shadow shepherd is not you." Aurora says to him as Derek smiles at her slightly.

"Rory Dr Nelson is a very capable surgeon and I'm very busy as you can see." Derek says as Meredith walks into the office as she smiles at the duo.

"I'll leave you two love birds to it I don't want to see what happens next and tell him to come back to Neuro I need my mentor back." Aurora says smiling at the couple as she head out of the door.
~
Aurora was roaming the halls of the basement as Nelson didn't have an surgeries and she couldn't find Alex.

She looked at her pager as it announced a lockdown which she didn't think much of it as she carried on walking around the hospital.

Aurora made her way down one of the halls as she heard two voice as she waited around the corner as she saw Lexie and a man who looked familiar.

"Oh, mr. Clark.I didn't plan to shoot all those people." Mr Clark says to Lexie as she looks at him sympathetically.

"Of...Of course you didn't.You were...Sad,You were- you were grieving." Lexie says to him as Aurora sees her shaking.

"I only planned to shoot dr. Shepherd.And dr. Webber.And you.You unplugged the machines.Your hands killed my alison." He says as he holds the gun to her.

Aurora rushed out from where she was hiding as she stood in front of Lexie."Rory what are you doing here?" Lexie said as Aurora looked at her slightly.

"Don't say anything. Have you seen Alex?" Aurora asks her as she sees Lexie face change.

"He shot him. Marks with him we need to get to him." Lexie whispers so only Aurora can hear her as Aurora looked at the shooter as he pulled the gun to the pair.

Aurora moves slightly as two gun shots went off as she pushed Lexie out of the way. Aurora looked up as both her and Lexie were fine as they saw Gary Clark on the floor.

"Have you seen Meredith or anyone else?" Lexie says clearly worried about her sister.

"Not since this morning. Hey ill go see if I can find them but you need to get back to Alex he needs you. Promise me you'll get him through this I can't lose him." Aurora says as Lexie nods as Aurora heads to look for her best friend and a certain green eyed surgeon she had grown close to again as they lost touch after medical school.
~
Aurora turned one of the corner as her breath hitched as she jumped at the sight of Owen as she held her chest as she let out a breath of relief.

"Dr Karev what are you doing walking around?" Owen says to her as she looks up at him.

"I could say the same to you. I'm looking for Meredith,Derek or Jackson i can't find any of them and Alex has already been shot but I promised Lexie I'd look for Meredith." Aurora says to him.

"Karev has been shot?" Owen says as Aurora nods at him as he looks at her. "Come on Meredith will be with Cristina and I left Avery in one of the O.Rs let's go have a look." Owen says as they headed to the O.R floor.
~
Owen and Aurora entered the O.R. as they so April and Meredith on the floor of the scrub room they look through the window to see Derek on the table as Jackson and Cristina were performing his surgery.

Owen and Aurora shared a look as they made sure to not change their faces much as they didn't want to worry Meredith as her and April looked up at both of them.

"Owen! Thank god.Derek has been shot.No one was down here.We didn't know what to do.Cristina's in there.She told me not to look.But she might need help." Meredith says as she looks at each of them as they both see what was happening in the O.R.

"Uh, she seems to be doing okay.But I'll just head in there and see what I can do." Owen says as he looks at Aurora as he puts a mask on.

"Wait,you're not scrubbing in?" Meredith says to him as he looks at her.

"I'll assess first, and if she needs me,Then I'll scrub in.Cristina was right.You should stay down there.
Okay? Don't move." Owen says to her as he heads into the O.R.

"a real surgeon is here.That's a good thing.That means that derek's gonna be okay." April says trying to reassure Meredith.
~
Aurora stood behind Meredith as she heard her cries as Derek began to flatline as her eyes glazed over. Her eyes met a familiar green ones that were looking back at her trying to reassure her.

Once Gary had left the room Dereks heart rate had come back as Aurora had seen what Jackson had done as she let out a sigh of relief as she smiles at her friend as he smiles back at her.
~
Aurora sat beside Alex as she held his hand not letting go as she repeated the whole day over in her head wondering if she could have stopped this happening.

He was her twin brother and he was apart of her. She didn't know what she'd do if she lost him as he was her rock even if he could be an ass at times she loved him the way he was because she knew she'd always have him.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
A/N- Hey guys so I decided to rewrite this first chapter as I wasn't really liking the idea of Aurora and Alex not getting along. And to build up her and Jackson relationship I decided that they went to med school together. Also I think Derek is going to be like her person and mentor as I've decided to go with Neuro as her specialty for this book. Hope you enjoy.