Chapter 30

"I came all the way from L.A. to show you this. You could spend more than 30 seconds." Amelia says to Derek as the continue to argue.

"I am looking right at it.It's a gliosarcoma that has
invaded the carotid artery.You try and remove it,
she will stroke out." Derek says to her as Aurora tries not to laugh at the two.

"Stop being a jackass." Amelia snaps at him as Aurora chuckles slightly.

"Wow.I'm... she called...she called you a jackass." Aurora says trying to control her laughter as both the Shepherd siblings looked at her.

"Dr. Karev, excuse us." Derek says as Aurora nods turning towards the door.

"Dr. Karev, stay here. I need backup." Amelia says as Aurora turns back around.

"Fine.You just got out of rehab.I want you to get on your feet.But you can't help her." Derek says as Amelia places a picture of a little boy in front of them.

"Look at his face.His name is Mason.This gliosarcoma belongs to his mother Erica.He's a great kid. I don't know him that well, but he seems great.
I do know his dad well.His name is Cooper, and he works with me and he is a good guy.He is a good dad,which means he is the one who is gonna have to tell Mason that his mom is dead, that he doesn't have a mom anymore because we didn't do anything." Amelia says to them as Derek looks at her.

"You tell Cooper you're sorry. You tried.Let it go.I have a surgery." Derek says walking out as Aurora gave Amelia a small smile as she walked away.
~
"Hey, you paged?" Aurora says as she walks in to see Amelia.

"Look, I can remove the tumour and the diseased carotid together.All I have to do is run balloon catheters in through the femoral,place them in precise position,inflate them to stop the blood flow,
do two arteriotomies, then feed a heparinized shunt into place,and reestablish blood flow." Amelia says as she looks at the scans as Aurora looks at her.

"That's all?" Aurora says sarcastically as she looks at the scans.

"Oh, and I have to do it in 90 seconds.Any more than that, and she strokes out." Amelia says to her as Aurora looks at her confused.

"Is that even possible?" Aurora asks her.

"Not sure. I would love to test it out." Amelia says as she turns to Aurora.

"We should set up a simulator." Aurora suggests as Amelia looks at her.

"Uh, don't we need to get Derek's approval?" Amelia asks her.

"Yeah, but that shouldn't be a big problem..." Aurora says to her.

"He loves to say no to me.That is his favorite thing to do." Amelia says to her as Aurora grins slightly.

"Maybe you should refrain from calling him a jackass." Aurora suggests to Amelia.

"I can't help it, 'cause he is one." Amelia says as Aurora nods her head in slight agreement.

"Maybe I should ask him." Aurora suggests to her.

"Would you?" Amelia says with a hopeful look on her face.

"Yeah." Aurora says looking at Amelia.

"He's in surgery, O.R. two." Amelia tells her as Aurora turns around to look at her.

"You just called me down here so that I would go to Derek for you, made me feel like it was my idea." Aurora says slightly impressed.

"Aren't I good?" Amelia says looking at her.

"Amazing." Aurora says as she goes to find Derek .
~

"Boom!" Amelia says as she finishes as she looks at Rory.

"97 seconds." Aurora says as Amelia grows frustrated grabbing the stopwatch from her hands.

"Bite me!Sorry.Just...Sorry. I just...I've been at 97 seconds for 8 freakin' tries now." Amelia says as she throws it at the wall as it breaks.

"Maybe not the ninth.If I can find another stopwatch." Aurora mutters as she looks at her.

"I mean, Derek's probably right.I'm just... I'm gonna let her down.He should know.I've let him down enough times." Amelia says as Aurora looks at her knowing Derek could be hard on her sometimes.

"Let's take a break.Let's go, uh, you want to get something to eat?" Aurora suggest to her.

"I want something.It's not food." Amelia tells her as Aurora thinks of something else.

"There's a guy who got his hand stuck in a meat grinder." Aurora says to Amelia.

"I...wouldn't mind seeing that.Yes." Amelia says as the two of them headed out.
~
"Morgan needs surgery?" Aurora asks as she sat down beside Jackson.

"How do you know about Morgan?" Alex says looking at his sister.

"Everybody knows about the pregnant intern, Karev.
There's my ride.Here we go." Jackson says as he kisses Aurora on lips before heading to his surgery.

"If Morgan needs surgery,then why are you here?" Aurora says looking at her brother.

"My attending gave me a job...call the boyfriend.I left, like, six messages." Alex says as he looks at the phone.

"Chris is a fourth year at the Cleveland clinic.I mean, you know how busy it gets." Aurora says as she looks back at Meredith and Callie.

"How do you know his name?" Alex says to her as she looks up at him.

"They're not just amputating and fitting him for a prosthetic?" Aurora says confused as she looks at the surgery.

"No.She thinks she's gonna be able to salvage the finger bits and reattach,because she's cracked." Alex says as Amelia watches Meredith.

"That's gonna be so much harder." Amelia comments as Aurora gets an idea.

"You know what else would be harder?Going through the carotid." Aurora says as she looks at Amelia.

"For fingers?" Alex looks at his sister as if she had gone crazy.

"It would be harder, but there'd be better control
than going through the femoral." Amelia says as they head back to the lab.
~
Aurora sees Jackson walking towards her as she turns around as he walks over to her with a confused look on his face. "What was that all about?" Jackson says as he wraps his arms around her.

"Oh Dr Avery I believe you told Bailey to get out of your O.R and I for one do not want any part in her rage." Aurora jokes as Jackson chuckles kisses her cheek as he rests his head on her shoulder.

"Ahh but now your my fiancé if I go down so do you my love." Jackson says to her as she smiles at him.

"Only because it's you." Aurora says as Jackson kisses her as she kisses him back.