Chapter 40

Rory was finishing up with one of her consult as she went to find Derek. "So your doing the surgery with Callie. How you feeling about it?" Rory asks him as he looks at her.

"I feel good. How are our patients doing?" Derek asks trying to change the subject as Rory sits beside him.

"Yeah I've a laminectomy on Mr Montez but the schedule pretty light today." Rory says looking at Derek as she watches the interns walk past. "These interns are useless." Rory says as Derek smiles at her.

"You think you were great when you first started out it took me ages to mould you into the Neuro Prodigy you are." Derek says as Rory rolls her eyes.

"Yeah I think that your thinking about yourself because I remember you letting me assist in my first year and doing the work of 5th year in my 3rd year." Rory says to him as her pager goes off.
~
"You really doing the intern appy?" Alex asks Meredith as Rory was getting her lunch.

"Jealous?" She asks him.

"He's too busy just doing the interns." Jackson says laughing at them.

"Are you gonna say good-bye to your fan club before you leave?" Meredith says to him.

"I've been saying good-bye all day." Alex says as Rory walks up behind him.

"Gross." She mouths as Meredith looks at her and smiles.

"They're gonna be sad to see me go.You may have to step up, Avery.Comfort them a little." Alex says as Rory glares at him.

"No sloppy seconds for me, thank you. But don't worry I'll be there to comfort your sister instead." Jackson says as Alex pulls a face of disgust.

Rory sits beside Meredith and Jackson as she looks at Alex. "First of all your gross." She says as she looks at her fiancé. "And at least I know one of the men in my life respects me." Rory says as Alex rolls his eyes.
~
Aurora sat in front of Walter Carr as he sat in front of her tapping his note pad. "How are you feeling today Dr Karev?" He asks as she looked up at him.

"Yeah I'm doing okay." She says with a fake smile as he tilts his head slightly looking at her.

"Dr Karev you've been through an unimaginable lot of pain and suffering. We're here to talk about you and I'm here to just listen." Dr carr tells her as Rory looks up at her.

"I was in a plane crash." Rory says looking at him as he nods his head looking at the file beside him.

"You've also had your father who was an addict who walked out on you. A mother and brother who both have schizophrenia. You and the other Dr Karev had to raise your younger siblings as well as take care of your mom. Your brother was shot and nearly bled to death. You've lost two of your friends to fatal accidents. An ambulance crash. And you've got PTSD." Dr Carr says as Rory looks at him.

"Alex is leaving today and they are switching Marks monitor off at 5. Derek has his first surgery today." Rory says to him as he smiles at her.

"How do you feel being back at work?" He asks her as she plays with her fingers.

"Like everyone is just watching me and waiting for me to fall. I feel like I can't breath." Rory says as Dr carr nods his head at her.

"Have you been to see Mark yet?" He asks her as she shook her head.

"I keep planning to but something always gets in the way." She says to him as Dr Carr watches her.

"What is it that stops you Rory?" He asks her as tears run down her cheek.

"It'll be the last time I'll see him. That I'll get reminded of the plane crash and I'll be back where I was." Rory says finally admitting what she scared of as dr carr smiles at her.

"This is progress Dr Karev you've always kept everything you've felt to yourself as you felt you had to. But sometimes it's okay to let people help you. I think we're done for today. Dr karev you should go see Mark it might help you or give you the opportunity to say goodbye to your friend." He tells her.
~
Rory stood outside Marks room as she saw Jackson in there as he walked out placing a kiss on her head as he wrapped his arms around her. "How was your session with Dr Carr?" Jackson asks looking down at her.

"Yeah it was okay he thought I'd regret not taking the chance to say goodbye or maybe it'll help with some part of this." She says to him.

"Want me to come in with you?" Jackson asks as Rory looks up at him shaking her head.

"No I've got to do this on my own but thank you. Stay here though." She asks him as he smiles and nods as she walks into Marks room and closes the door.

She looked at mark and then at Jackson as reach down and held Marks hand. "You'd be making some joke about how smitten he seems. I'm sorry I haven't been to visit it's just I was scared to say goodbye and that I'd just be reminded of the crash. I'm going to miss you Mark sloan, how you were only person who was always up for annoying Derek and Bailey. How you managed to make any day seem brighter. And how some how you knew just how to wind me up. But I promise you I've got them okay you don't need to worry. I've got Jackson and Derek but you gotta look after Lexie for me. She's waiting for you. We'll meet again someday." Rory says with a small smile as tears ran down her cheek as she placed a kiss on marks head as she went to join Jackson.
~
Aurora sat with Jackson as Marks monitors were turned off as she looked up at Alex as he signalled her over. She walked towards him as he wrapped his arms around her.

"You're going to be okay. Avery better look after you or I'll beat his ass. I'll see you in a few weeks right?" Alex says as Rory smiles and nods as she hugs him back.

"I know and I'll hold you to that. See you in a few weeks and you better have a lot of beer. Go show Hopkins just who Karevs are." Rory says smiling as Alex smiled at her as she went back to Jackson as she was in his lap with her head on his chest as he held her.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
A/N- I was going to focus on more of a physical injury but someone suggested doing something similar to Cristina which I loved the idea. But I wanted it to be delayed and a time for Rory to also move on from her past trauma.