Chapter 84

Rory woke up as she heard one of the twins crying as she headed into their room. "Hey sweetheart." She says picking up Everly who was stood up in her crib.

"Are you telling mommy it's time to get up?" Rory asks as Everly begins to smile which makes her laugh before she checks on Parker who was still sleeping.

Rory put Everly down as she went to start their breakfast as Jackson had headed out to meet April for breakfast. She heard someone knock on the door as she opened it to see Derek and the kids.

"Hey guys?" She asks slightly confused as she invites them in taking Bailey from Derek as he picked Zola up.

"Meredith decided to leave at whatever time this morning, Amy went out too and I've got a meeting is there any chance you can take the kids to the daycare?" He asks her as Rory looks at Bailey and Zola.

"Of course." Rory puts Bailey down with Everly as they were playoff together. "Zozo want to help me make breakfast?"she asks her niece.

"Yes." She says happily as Derek mouths thank you before heading off to his meeting g as Rory got the twins, Zola and Bailey breakfast.
~
Rory finished up her patient notes as she heard Jackson, Alex and Bailey walking towards her and Richard as she looked at them. "And where the hell have you been?" Bailey says to Richard.

"Well, I was --" he tries to tell her.

"tell them, Richard. Tell them that I belong on the board, not Karev." Bailey says to them.

"Karev?" Richard asks confused.

"Alex?" Rory questions looking at her husband and her brother.

"Yeah, Yang's trying to give Karev her seat." Jackson says to them.

"I don't -- no, she did give it." Alex says to his sister and Richard.

"Um... excuse me." Richard says walking away as Jackson grabbed Rory's arm and pulled her away quickly with him.

"How was breakfast with April?" Rory asks him as Jackson holds her hand.

"Yeah it was good you should come next time it's was awkward just me with her and Matthew. How were the twins anyway?" He asks her.

"I didn't think Matthew would be there and yeah they're find happy and fed in the daycare. Hey I've got to go to the E.R but I'll meet you for lunch?" She asks him as her pager goes off.

"Yeah course." He says quickly pecking her lips as Rory heads to the E.R.
~
"I got a page?" Rory asks looking at April.

"All right. Can you guys wait over there, and I'll see what I can find out. Mm-hmm. Come with me." April says taking Rory to one of the trauma rooms.

"Good, you're here. There's too much blood to do the ventric. Can you help?" Derek says looking at her.

"Geez. He belongs to them?" She asks looking at April.

"Yep." She tells her.

"Oh, damn it." Derek says growing frustrated.

"B.P.'S 220 over 123. He's bradying down." Rory says as she goes to help him.

"The family's asking for an update. Is there anything I could tell them now?" April asks them.

"Well, nothing good." Derek tells her.
~
"17-year-old female, trauma to the head." The nurse says to them.

"I can handle things here." Rory says to him.

"Okay. Warren, you coming?" He asks looking at Ben as he scrubs out.

"Well, actually, would you mind if I stayed here? No offense, but you've already got one foot out the door,
and Dr. Karev is the new head of neuro." Ben says as Rory looks at him.

"So, you want to stay here and not come with me?Why not? Seems to be the trend these days." Derek says to which Rory rolls her eyes and continues to work.
~
"Pupil's blown." Ben tells her as Rory looks at the monitor.

"He's herniating. Damn it!" Rory says as Ben began compressions.

"Hey, just want to get an update on Mr. Peterson for his wife." April says as she walks in.

"Push 100 grams of 20% mannitol!" Rory says to the nurse.

"I.C.P.'S still elevated." Ben tells her.

"More mannitol! His brain injury's too far gone. We've been trying to salvage things." Rory says to April.

"How long has he been down?" April asks them.

"37 minutes." Ben tells them.

"I'm gonna call it. Time of death, 18:32. Kepner, is everything okay?" Rory asks looking at April.

"Yeah, yeah. No, I'm fine. It's just... He was just trying to get his kid's frisbee, you know?" April says as Rory gives her a solemn look.
~
Rory stood beside Meredith as she looked at her husband.

"So, here is what we know -- Karev has a letter from Yang's attorney granting him her shares  and her board seat." Jackson tells all of the board members.

"So, that's Karev's seat." Rory and Arizona say as Jackson looks over at her.

"Uh, not so fast." Richard says looking at them as Jackson continues.

"According to the bylaws of the foundation, new board members are appointed by a majority vote
from other members. That is the closest thing we have to a rule." Jackson says to them.

"So, what do we do?" Meredith says to him.

"I propose we let them fight it out." Jackson says to them as they all nod agreeing.
~
Rory ran her hands over her face as someone squeezed her shoulders as she looked up to see Jackson. "You okay?" He asks her as he sits beside her.

"I just had to tell a wife and her son that their husband and dad died. I think this is the worst part of the job. And when they have kids it just makes it so much harder." Rory says as Jackson pulls her head into his chest as he holds her running his hand up and down her back to comfort her.

"I know baby. We've both been at the other end of that conversation hoping those words don't come out. And we can only hope they never will for a long time." Jackson says to her as Rory rests her head on his chest and he holds her.