Chapter 118

A few years ago...

Rory was a third year resident at Seattle Grace Hospital. Everything had changed in the past few weeks. She had lost one of her closest friend George who had died throwing himself in front of bus to save a woman life. Her brothers wife, izzie had cancer and had almost died herself. Meredith had also undergone surgery after giving a piece of her liver to save her alcoholic father.

Now the hospital was merging with Mercy West much to the dismay of all the doctors. Rory had just finished surgery with Derek. Rory had dreamed of being a neurosurgeon since before she was in college. And being taught by the world renowned neurosurgeon Derek Shepherd was more than she had dreamed possible.

Rory and Derek were more than mentor and student he was her best friend and she was his. The two hit it off from the moment they first worked together as Derek saw a lot of himself in Rory and knew she had what it took to become one of the best neurosurgeon he'd known.

Rory was heading back to the residents locker room as she pushed through seeing waves of orange scrubs. She didn't like the idea of the merger but complaining about it wouldn't help. She just had to focus on her own game. She was one of the best in her class all through med school and she now Shepherds golden resident.

Rory headed to her own locker which was between Alex and Meredith's. Rory listened as Izzie began to argue with some of the surgical residents from mercy west. Alex came to drag his wife away as Rory watched him sending him an apologetic look.

Rory turned to the women who Izzie was arguing with as Rory found a familiar face. "Jackson Avery right before my very eyes it can't be." Rory says to the man with the gorgeous green eyes.

Jackson smiled as he looked at his old best friend. "Rory? I didn't know you were in Seattle." He says as he walked over wrapping his arms around her.

Rory hugged him back. "Last minute change of plans decide to follow my brother and I thought you'd be in Boston under the watchful eye of your mother." Rory says smirking at him.

"No I had to get away so I ended up here." Jackson says smiling at her.

"Well it's good to see you Avery but keep your people in check. And maybe we can go for a drink and catch up sometime." Rory suggests to him.

"Yeah that'll be great." Jackson says as Rory nods at him as she headed to find Derek. Jackson stood in a daze for a moment as Charles walked up to him.

"Dude your drooling you've got the hots for the enemy." Charles said as Jackson looked at him shaking his head.

"I do not and she's not the enemy." Jackson says before he headed to the E.R ignoring what Charles had said.
~
After the shooting...

Jackson was laid beside Rory having been spending nights in her bed due to his nightmares. Rory was awoken as Jackson was thrashing about beside her as she tried to wake him up. "Jackson. Avery. Hey wake up." Rory says as Jackson stirred awake in a panic.

Jackson looked at the women beside him who had a face full of concern for him. She was the women he had loved since they were in college but he felt she deserved better. Rory cupped his face running her thumb across his cheek.

"I'm okay I'm okay." He repeated trying to convince himself as well as Rory who nodded at him.

Rorys eyes lingered on Jackson features. First his eyes which stood out to Rory and then she studied his face. Rory always thought Jackson was someone special to her but now she was seeing him in a whole new perspective. She didn't want to admit it but she was falling for him. She was just too scared to lose him or to get hurt.