[23] first shot

Outpatient Department.

Everyone caught the attention of a lady wearing a black denim jacket with a blue inner top, as she was bawling her eyes out. The nurses couldn't give her the required shot because she has been shivering while crying and they are afraid that she might pass out even before the shot has been injected.

Kei knows that what she's doing is humiliating and unladylike but she really is afraid of needles until now. Injections are the only thing she is afraid of, and she no longer cares about whatever people will say behind her back.

The conversation with Daphne calmed her earlier but when the nurse approached her again, she was sent back to her reality. She was rubbing her eyes like a child when she heard a baritone voice she is familiar with, but couldn't recall where she heard it as her mind is totally all over the place.

"Nurse, let me handle it." said the voice in his reassuring tone.

The nurse finally breathed a sigh of relief as if her savior has arrived to relieve her of her misery and proceed with her duty.

"Miss, are you sure you are not going to take this shot?" The doctor approached Kei, who is still crying.

Seeing that his patient is still unresponsive, he decided to continue talking.

"But you have to sign the waiver. You also have to be under observation if you will experience flu-like symptoms in the upcoming weeks or months..." The doctor started to lecture her about Rabies.

"After the flu-like symptoms, it may progress within days to acute symptoms of cerebral dysfunction, anxiety, confusion, and agitation. And if still left untreated, it may further progress to experiencing delirium, hydrophobia, insomnia... Worse comes to worst, it is nearly always fatal..." He paused for a while, highlighting the word fatal and letting his patient know the severity of the matter.

"Would you prolong your agony and wait for a miracle or just take the shot? It will only take a couple of minutes to go back to your life as if nothing happened. But if you really don't want it, then we won't force you." He talked as calmly as possible, trying to avoid adding stress to his patient.

Kei on the other hand remained silent. She wanted to talk but she couldn't utter a single word. However, hearing the word "fatal" coming from the doctor means this is really a real deal. She has fear of needles, but she's more scared to die just yet. Her Nana will be sad if that happens.

She then wiped her face properly, then with her shivering hands, she removed the left sleeve of her jacket revealing her white arms. Luckily, she was wearing a sleeveless inner top.

The nurses who are watching the scene also can't help but to feel a slight envy how flawless this lady is wondering what could be her skincare routine.

Even the doctor was caught off guard, he's a man and it's 100% hypocrisy if he said he didn't admire for a second what he saw.

The doctor cleared his throat and took it as a positive sign. He then proceeded with disinfecting the inoculation site, "I'll take your answer as a yes to the vaccine. Don't worry, it will be over before you know it."

She continued to stare blankly below, not wanting to see the needle or else, she might change her mind again. And before she could even nod her head in response, the doctor said "done".

"What done? Did you really inject the medicine?" Kei exclaimed in disbelief.

To her amazement, she decided to look up and see who could be this amazing doctor with skillful hands. She didn't feel anything, except for the slight soreness afterward due to the medicine. She was merely "poked", if that’s the right term, far from what she expected.

But when she finally saw the doctor attending to her, she literally wanted the earth to swallow her whole right this instant in embarrassment.

"See? It was just like an ant bite except for the itchiness." He then smiled at her as if boasting about his precision and how light his hands were.

It was no other than the guy she was eagerly wanted to see except for this very moment...

Doctor Jiro Young