|39| tales

At the lobby, Kei was eating her lunch when she remembered that Dave still owed her a story.

"So, spill the tea! How did he become your idol?" Kei then munched her fish fillet.

Dave swallowed his steak and responded, "I think most of the people here admire him as well. He is really famous with his skillful hands, you know. I have heard a lot about him but I just thought they were just mere exaggerations..." He then grabbed his bottled water for a drink then continued, "But when I assisted his operation last year, I can actually say that what they were saying about his reputation is all true." He then took the fish fillet in his lunch for a bite.

"Hmmm, that's interesting. I am actually new here in Cebu, so I don't really know much about him yet. But I am curious about this reputation you are talking about", Kei was slicing her steak and then took a small piece then chewed it while listening to his story.

"Well, Doc Jiro Young is known to be Hawk-Eye." Dave uttered this with sparkling eyes while releasing an appreciative sigh when he finished his lunch.

"Hawk Eye? Like the Avenger Hawk Eye?" Her brows crossed and was about to laugh at the thought about how Jiro can be an undiscovered Avenger residing in Cebu. She immediately grabbed her bottled water to clear her throat.

Seeing the mocking in her face, Dave then tried to explain further. "Hawk Eye because of his superb hand-eye coordination and precision. He got the nickname when a video of him was uploaded performing a Tracheotomy with a ballpoint pen in a mall in the City." He reminisced proudly.

"We, in the medical profession, know how complicated this procedure is. It needs precision and accuracy and not all doctors can perform this procedure. But Doc Ji's featherlike hands saved the victim. The one who took the video documented the entire procedure and he immediately became famous overnight." He continued with awe in his eyes.

After hearing Dave's story, Kei shook her head in disbelief. She also experienced how gentle Jiro's hands were, they really are featherlike. And because of this story, an added admiration started to flourish inside her.

Kei is not familiar with this procedure but based on the term itself "tracheotomy", Jiro must have dealt with the trachea and air passage which really is a critical spot for an operation in an open area.

"When I assisted him last year, I never thought that a small cut in the appendix could be possible.. I mean, he perfectly visualized the size of the little boy's appendix based on his touch. He was very precise and took the appendix out in a jiffy and if I may add, I have never seen a clean stitch in my entire career like how Doc Ji stitched him up. I am actually trying to mimic his stitches now but I still can't even out the distances perfectly like how he did it." Dave was saying these things as he tried to mimic the stitch based on his memory.

"Wow, that explains your great admiration earlier." Kei could only utter as she threw their empty packed lunch in the bin. She took her bottled water and started to ponder about the wonders Jiro did as a doctor. By seeing the amazement in Dave's eyes, she could already imagine how great a doctor he is.

When the time for lunch was finally over, they got back to their posts as the registered patients now started to line up.

"You know Kei, Doc Ji? He's a big deal here. We really look forward to this medical mission every year because aside from the fact that we can help more people, the girls here are excited to see him up close. It's not every day that you can meet a handsome, young bachelor doctor." He then proclaimed while encoding the medical history of the patient.

Kei then looked at the main entrance of the hospital where Jiro came in.

"Perhaps this medical mission was not a mistake after all. Thank God for the stray cat?" Kei whispered to herself and smiled in her mischief.