|43| flat tops

Jiro decided to just wait inside his car. He turned on the engine, so as the infotainment system and the AC as well.

Kei followed him after her pack up. She opened the door to the passenger seat in front, making her own decision to just sit there, and just murmured, "I'll just sit here so you won't feel like you are my driver", as she secured her seatbelt.

She was hoping to start a conversation but before she could hear a reaction, she felt the car moving forward making her look at the man beside her with creased brows.

The tall, capable, and handsome man beside her has no trace of delight. All she could see is a serious and silent Jiro mode.

"Are you angry?" She asked while Jiro shook his head in response.

Kei then decided to just be silent the entire ride. Their resort is a 30-minute drive from the hospital and the deafening silence is starting to make her feel awkward.

She then just leaned her head to the headrest and looked at the view in the window when she realized Jiro stopped in front of a convenience store. He walked out of the car and went inside.

"I thought we were in a hurry?" Kei asked with wrinkled brows, talking with herself. "Okay fine, this is his car and I'm just a passenger. I need not know." and heaved a deep sigh.

Moments later she saw Jiro open a silver and orange wrapper from the paper bag and ate it on his way out.

"Oh, energy booster perhaps?" Kei grinned and acted as if what she saw did not amuse her and went back to looking at her window.

When Jiro got inside, he opened the paper bag and took out a pack of Flat Tops, and offered it to her.

"Want one?" Jiro asked but this time he was smiling.

"Wah, thanks! I haven't had one in a while." Kei remarked as she chewed the chocolate he bought for her. "I guess, the just woke-up version of Doc Jiro Young is now gone." She remarked simply, trying to ignore the grumpy Jiro she had a while ago.

"Yeah, I apologize for how I acted earlier. I am really not my usual self after I wake up. And I feel bad that you have to see this." Jiro sighed as he continued to drive.

"I feel honored to see that version of you. You really look scary when you are in that state." Kei acted seemingly afraid but giggled afterward.

"I know, that is why I stopped by to grab some chocolates. This is actually my mood booster." Jiro explained while pressing his lips.

"Don't worry, I understand. Not all people are in their best selves immediately after they hibernate, so you're still an ordinary human being after all." Kei giggled once more. She kept on hearing stories praising him, putting him on a pedestal. So it's nice to get to know his normal self.

"But... are you sure you'd allow Dave to drop you to the resort? I mean, you just met him and you already trust him?" He asked curiously.

"Well, he is a nurse in the hospital and many people know him. If I go missing, all of you know that I was last seen with him so no worries." Kei laughed at her statement and Jiro also giggled in response.

"But you don't have to worry, I can handle myself. I've learned self-defense at a very young age so I'm good." Shei declared confidently as she glanced at Jiro who seemed surprised with what she said.

"That's great news then. I don't have to worry about you, but worry about them." Jiro chuckled as he looked at the side mirror.

"But seriously, If you need a car, I bet you only need to ask. Let it be to Doc Jean or to your company. If you don't want to be indebted with a favor, just rent one of Dean's cars. His cars would be happy to go on a trip than just get stuck on his garage." His brows waggled

"But it would be one less of a passenger to the public transport drivers." She gaped.

"But you could help one gasoline boy, one carwash boy, and maybe those assisting in parking areas..." Jiro insisted mischievously.

After realizing where their conversation is leading, the two let out a loud laugh.

"Did we really suddenly dwell into a socio-economic topic?" He beamed.

Kei continued laughing while Jiro is still in disbelief and released a loud sigh, "So... are we really good now and I'm not making you uncomfortable here?" Her eyes gleamed.

Jiro pursed his lips suppressing a smile as he lazily rested his elbows on his door side.

"That's what you thought? Seriously, I apologize for my demeanor earlier. It's not you... it's me." He explained that made Kei laugh while clapping her hands, showing her amused, with his humor.

Jiro then continued, "You've just met the just-woke-up me

Jiro then continued, "You've just met the just-woke-up me. And that's the reason why I don't want to take a nap earlier. But I'm good now. We are good, really." Then smiled reassuringly as he glanced at Kei with sparkling eyes.

"Just want to add too, hmm a friendly reminder. All I'm saying is, you are not in Singapore anymore. This is the Philippines, this is Cebu, and you are not familiar here. Not because you've experienced Cebuano hospitality nicely more than thrice, it would mean that everyone here is nice." Jiro said seriously yet calmly this time.

"Wait, how did you know that I received it nicely more than thrice?" Kei asked with a playful smile as she looked at his driving hands again.

"They sure look familiar..."Kei mumbled in her thoughts as she gave them a meaningful stare.