|77| exile

"Since I have cleared out my name, can I ask you something? Jiro asked.

"Uyyy! He's curious about me. Okay, shoot!"

"Why is Architect Kei in Cebu? I mean, why are you here in a small province like Cebu when you are already in Singapore and handled big projects abroad?"

"Hmmm, why is Kei Lim of SG here in Cebu?" She repeated his question as if clarifying if she heard it right.

Kei then took another sip of her chocolate drink then, "It was a promotion according to my Department head. But it was more of like an exile as I see it." She then added wood to the fire, then continued.

"I'm eyeing another Dubai project actually but yeah, this happened. To make the long story short, I have a boss who's hitting on me but I turned him down, then viola! He sent me here." She giggled but her eyes were void of happiness.

Jiro saw it in a split second but ignored it and continued, "So politics?" He further inquired.

"Sort of. But my team manager said that she approved of my "exile" here in Cebu because she heard that the Country Manager here in the Philippines is setting high expectations in this deal as this is actually their first big project with the Sy's. They are hoping that this is the beginning of more deals with the big companies, so they want me to lead it." She then heaved a deep sigh.

"Well, to win a crucial battle, they definitely sent their best warrior!" He retorted while looking at her.

"I don't think so. More of like, I was a spare tire after the original Architect resigned." She smiled coldly.

"Well, if millions are involved I don't think a spare would suffice, I should be sending my best warrior to finish the job." He insisted.

But she just shrugged it off, as if he said an impossible thing. He immediately felt that she didn't want to talk about it so he diverted the topic.

"But how about your team? Don't tell me you came here alone with that burden on your shoulders? Without your team to help you?" He asked worriedly.

Kei just shook her head while smiling helplessly, affirming what he said.

After seeing her reaction, Jiro pressed his lips in discomfort then heaved a deep sigh upon realizing Kei's predicament.

"So you mean, that team that you are working with now, is not from your team there in Singapore?" Jiro asked in disbelief.

"My manager offered that I could bring some of them here, but I declined. I don't want them to join me in my demise. Besides, I think it would be better if my teammates here know the environment I will be working in. I mean, a team from the place or country itself. I believe that's a better collaboration, international yet familiar." Kei clarified seeing the dread on Jiro's face.

"I know how it feels to start a team from scratch, I've been there. I mean, the surgical team for my big operations was actually handpicked and trained along with me since my residency. They know how I work and they assist me, even before I say it, but for you, I can't imagine your frustration from starting from scratch." He replied helplessly.

"Yeah and that is the reason why sometimes I can't sleep at night. I worry about my projects here and sometimes I feel it becomes too much. Luckily, so far, my team has not yet disappointed me. They actually helped me a lot already and they are great at what they do. I just hope that we really satisfy the Sy's." She reassured him.

'Well, your boss might have thought that you are having a hard time here, but by the looks of it, you are doing a great job. So don't think about it that much." He consoled her.

She simply smiled at his statement. She then uttered, "My turn. Why are you here in Cebu? I heard from the nurses that you had offers in Manila, but why stay here?" She looked at him curiously.