5: Somewhere

Jan 5th - Prompt: How did you find me?

------------------

Peter watched with a frown as Edmund slipped from the room, a tired looking crossing his face as he closed the door behind him.

Peter glanced around the room, full of laughing, talking Narnians before placing his cup down on a nearby table and quickly following his brother.

He stopped outside the door, frowning a little... Where had Edmund even gone?

He thought for a while, before taking a deep breath and slipping out a side door into the gardens.

Gripping the hilt of his sword in his hand, he wandered through the gardens, before arriving at a bush against a wall, or what seemed to be against a wall.

He hesitated a little, before stepping through the bush onto the other side, where a small grassy area with nothing more than a bench in the middle lay.

And sure enough, Edmund was sat on the bench, elbows on his knees and chin rested in his hands, eyes on the floor.

Being as quiet as he could, Peter wandered over and sat down beside his brother without a word, sighing sadly.

Edmund looked up, frowning deeply. "Peter." He murmered. "How - How did you find me?"

Peter smiled gently. "I've watched you disappear behind here more than a few times Ed." He answered.

Edmund stared at him. "Why have you only followed me now then?" He asked, unable to help himself.

Peter bit his lip. "I'm worried about you Edmund." He murmered. "You seem out of sorts."

Edmund shrugged. "There was just too many people." He mumbled. "I needed some fresh air."

Peter shook his head. "Not just tonight Ed." He murmered. "You've not been yourself for at least a week."

Edmund sighed and ran a hand through his hair, making it stick up on end. "I've just had so much work to do recently." He breathed. "I'm not getting much sleep lately, I'm exhausted."

"Why didn't you ask for help?" Peter asked, sounding confused.

Edmynd shrugged. "I don't know." He sighed. "I thought I could do it myself."

Peter sighed, placing a hand on his brothers shoulder. "I'll help you from now on okay?" He said firmly but still gently. "But right now you need to get some sleep, you look like you could fall asleep right here."

Edmund smirked tiredly. "I could." He breathed.

Peter smiled. "Come on then." He breathed, standing from the stone bench.

"Peter?" Edmund asked quickly as he stood beside him.

"Hmm?"

"Can - Can you not tell anyone about this place?" Edmund said awkwardly. "It's just a place where I can come and have some peace and quiet is all."

Peter smiled in understanding. "I won't tell." He said with a knowing smirk. "Don't worry."

"Although," Edmund said, a growing smile on his face as the two headed back into the gardens. "I don't know how much peace I'll get seeming as you know about it."

Peter rolled his eyes playfully. "I'll leave you be if you want to be alone." He said gently. "Promise."

Edmund nodded. "Thanks." He breathed, stepping inside and shivering a little.

"Come on, upstairs." Peter murmered, placing his hand on Edmund's back and all but pushing him down the corridor.

Edmund raised an eyebrow as he walked. "You don't have to come with me you know." He grumbled.

Peter shrugged. "I know." He answered, but continued to follow him anyway.

Once inside Edmunds room, Peter walked over and pulled back the blankets on the bed, before going over to draw the curtains and lighting a candle so they could see. "Into bed." He all but snapped, but he meant it kindly enough.

"I need to change first!" Edmund argued.

"Then change." Peter said with a shrug. "But don't be slow about it."

Edmund stared at his brother until Peter got the hint and turned around. "I'm your brother Ed." He muttered, but said no more until Edmund was ready for bed. "Now under the covers or I'll tuck you in."

Edmund all but leapt into bed. "I'm not twelve anymore Peter." He reminded him. "I haven't been for five years."

Peter nodded slowly. "I know." He whispered, sitting down on the bed beside him. "But just get some sleep, and from now on I'll help you with your work, all you have to do is ask."

Edmund gave him a grateful smile. "I know." He breathed. "Asking for help has never been my strong point."

"I know that." Peter said quietly. "You seem to try and do everything yourself, and it's not good for you, especially doing excessive amounts of work like you have been doing. Tomorrow you can catch me up on everything you've done, and I'll help you from there."

Edmund nodded, resting his head against the pillows. "That means a lot." He breathed. "Thanks."

"Don't mention it." Peter breathed, before hesitating.

Edmund stared at him for a while before rolling his eyes. "Go on." He whispered gently, a knowing glint in his dark, tired eyes.

Peter chuckled, leaning down to press a gentle kiss to Edmunds forehead, something he hadn't done in a very long time. "I'll let them know not to disturb you in the morning." He murmered. "Sleep for as long as you need."

Edmund smiled at him, nodding before his eyes closed.

Peter watched him for a moment, before standing from the bed and quietly leaving the room.

"You found him then?"

He jumped a little when he spotted Susan stood in the corridor, a knowing smile on her face. "I saw him leave the party." She said quietly.

Peter nodded. "Yeah I found him." He breathed.

"Where was he?"

Peter smirked. "Somewhere." He said with a small shrug.

Susan stared at him for a while before laughing quietly. "Is he okay?" She asked gently. "He seemed rather quiet tonight."

Peter nodded, glancing back at Edmund's bedroom door for a moment before turning back to Susan and smiling a little. "Yeah." He breathed. "He's gonna be fine."

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆