196: Heat

July 15th - Prompt: Scarred

-----------

Peter was woken from his deep sleep by a sudden scream. It was so loud and heart wrenching that he sat bolt upright in bed and let out something that resembled a yell.

Slightly disorientated, he sat there for a moment, blinking back sleep and rubbing at his eyes.

He eventually took a deep breath, jumping a little when another scream echoed down the hallway, and this time he was awake enough to recognise the voice.

"Ed..." He murmured, immediately pulling back the covers.

He didn't even bother with his dressing gown or slippers, be just dashed across the room and out the door, not hesitating as he made his way down to his brother's room.

As he ran he couldn't help but think about the fact that Edmund hadn't had a nightmare like this in at least two years, and for him to suddenly have one out of the blue couldn't be good.

He reached his room in only a few seconds, pushing open the door just as another scream reached his ears.

Even though it was dark, he could still see his brother, laying in bed and thrashing against the covers that had wrapped themselves around him.

Hurrying over, he grabbed Edmunds shoulders to get him to stay still, before giving him a firm shake. "Ed." He snapped. "Wake up, come on, it's only a dream."

Edmund turned his head away, trying to pull from Peter's grip, but Peter wouldn't let him, and after a while was starting to get worried.

By this point he could see Lucy and Susan stood in the doorway, but didnt pay them any attention as he slapped Edmunds face gently. "Edmund!" He all but screamed.

This time Edmund's eyes snapped open and he let out a shaky gasp, his breathing turning into sharp intakes of breath, and he clearly couldn't breathe properly.

Peter sat him up, rubbing his hand up and down his back. "Breathe Edmund," He whispered in his ear. "Deep breath, come on, you're awake now, it was only a dream. I'm right here, I promise I'm not going anywhere."

Despite Edmund being sixteen, he started sobbing like he was twelve again, and when he felt safe enough he sunk into Peter's arms and clung to him, refusing to let go.

Peter glanced at his sisters, who slowly walked into the room, both looking just as terrified as the other. He only shook his head at them though before looking back down at Edmund. "You're okay." He whispered. "I'm right here, I've got you, you're safe."

Lucy sat on the other side of the bed and placed a hand on Edmunds back, but Edmund only shuddered and tried to get closer to Peter, which had Peter extremely worried, because Edmund hadn't acted like this in a long time.

"Please say something Ed." He mumbled in to his younger brothers hair, tears stinging his eyes at the way he was shaking.

Edmund swallowed hard, his own tears slowing a little. "It - It was her." He sobbed quietly. "It was her again."

Peter's eyes slipped shut and he heard Susan take a deep breath. All three of them knew who Edmund meant when he said Her, and if Peter was honest, he hadn't expected anything else.

"She's dead." Susan said suddenly, making Peter look up at her. "She has been for 4 years."

Edmund swallowed hard and shook his head. "She said-" But he stopped mid way through his sentence.

Peter frowned, looking down to see Edmund just staring ahead at the open door of his bedroom. "She said what?" He asked.

Edmund did nothing.