25: I know we will

January 25th - Prompt: Wardrobe

-------------

Edmund sighed a little as he sat on the cold wooden floor, a candle lighting the room beside him as he stared up at the wardrobe, it's doors closed, and they'd been like that ever since the professor had assured them all they couldn't go back that way.

He shivered slightly, having not brought his dressing gown, which he now decided was a very stupid idea, but he couldn't bring himself to return just yet.

He'd quite often come and sit here in the middle of the night, most nights since they'd returned from Narnia, but he didn't want to stop.

It brought him some sort of comfort, as this was the closest he could get to Narnia at that precise moment.

He wasn't really surprised when he felt a blanket draped over his shoulders, and with a small, grateful smile he turned to his brother.

Peter sat beside him, letting out a sigh of his own as he turned to the wardrobe, not saying anything for a long time. "We'll go back Ed." He all but whispered. "One day."

Edmund bit his lip, pulling the blanket tightly around his shivering form. "I know." He breathed. "It's just hard being away from it all. We were there for fifteen years Pete, and now we have nothing to say for it. We're young again, I don't even know if I remember how to use a sword properly!"

Peter frowned at this. "Now you mention it, neither do I." He breathed. "Well, I have this feeling that if I were given a sword it would all come back to me, you know?"

Edmund nodded slowly. "Yeah, that sounds right." He murmured.

Peter turned to stare at his brother, watching as he looked down at the candle, staring at it as it flickered. "You know though." He sighed. "Coming here every night won't magically make the wardrobe open."

Edmund turned to stare at the floor, sighing with a nod. "Yeah I know." He breathed. "But even just sat here cheers me up a bit."

Peter was silent for a moment before nodding. "I know what you mean." He agreed.

The two sat there for ages, just staring at the wardrobe before Peter sighed. "We should probably head back to bed." He murmured.

Edmund hesitantly nodded. "Yeah." He all but whispered, still gripping the blanket tightly in his hands.

Peter patted his shoulder gently before grabbing the candle and standing, waiting for Edmund to stand beside him before smiling a little. "We'll go back Ed." He said softly. "You'll see."

Edmund smiled too, nodding his head as he glanced back at the wardrobe. "I know we will."

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡