161: Trigger

June 10th - Prompt: Turkish Delight

-----------

"Party's started."

Edmund glanced up from where he'd been trying to fix his hair in the mirror, but was clearly not having any luck. "Already?" He asked.

Peter shrugged. "People have already started arriving." He told him.

Edmund nodded, before sighing. "The Christmas parties in Narnia were so much better." He breathed. "I mean no offence to Mum's parties, but you know what I mean."

Peter smiled sadly. "Course I do." He breathed.

Edmund hesitated. "The ones in Narnia actually made me forget everything else." He murmured.

Peter stared at him. "You're struggling?" He murmured.

Edmund shrugged. "It's not as bad seeming as there's no snow." He told him. "But it's still cold enough for me to think about it, and the nightmares come anyway."

Peter frowned a little. "I haven't heard you." He said, confused because they shared a room and his bed was right opposite his.

Edmund shrugged. "They haven't been bad." He reassured him. "Just enough to wake me up with a gasp ya know..."

Peter sighed. "Wake me up next time." He said.

"Peter-"

"I don't want you laying in bed awake and scared for the rest of the night." Peter told him, and he meant it.

"I'm okay most nights." Edmund said quietly, straightening out his shirt. "I can distract myself reading, I'm just dreading the night I have a bad dream, one where unfortunately I will wake you up."

Peter took a deep breath. "Start praying it won't happen." He breathed.

Edmund snorted. "I doubt even praying will prevent that." He said, before taking a deep breath. "Come on, let's head downstairs."

That was a sure sign that Edmund didn't wanna talk about it anymore, so Peter followed him from the bathroom and downstairs.

There were a few people already there, including their Mum, a few of her close friends, a few other little kids running around, and Susan and Lucy were there too.

There were Christmas decorations everywhere, as there usually was this time of year, although it would seem Peter had forgotten just how pretty the house looked at Christmas, after 15 years in Narnia.

Edmund tapped him on the arm. "Let's just go get some food." He said, "I don't wanna make small talk."

Peter chuckled. "Oh you're such an introvert." He teased, following him across the room to the table in the corner which was set with some food, as much as they'd been able to get hold of with the war going on.

"I am." Edmund agreed rather easily, grabbing a mince pie.

Peter grabbed one too and smiled at him. "It would be nice if Dad were here." He whispered after a moment.