126: Go away

May 6th - Prompt: I'll always remember you

-----------

"Will - Will you have to go away too?"

Peter glanced up from his homework, frowning at his ten year old little brother. "What do you mean?" He asked slowly.

Edmund was sat at the end of his bed, kicking his legs back and forth. "Well, Dad had to go away." He said quietly.

Peter sighed. "Ed I won't have to go away." He said gently, standing and walking over to him. "I'm not old enough anyway."

"What about when you are old enough?" Edmund asked, sounding worried.

Peter chuckled gently. "I reckon by that time the war will be well over." He said. "They reckon its gonna be over by Christmas."

"Do you really believe that?" Edmund questioned.

Peter hesitated. "I'm not sure." He breathed. "I hope so though."

"What started it?" Edmund asked suddenly after a while of silence. "The war I mean."

Peter stared at him, before sighing. "Some not very nice people invaded Poland, you know that country-?" Edmund nodded. "Well, they invaded Poland, so now we have to help them."

"Help them invade?" Edmund asked, frowning.

"No, no definitely not." Peter said quickly. "We need to help Poland, and protect our country from invasion too."

Edmund nodded slowly, and Peter bit his lip, explaining a world war to a ten year old wasn't exactly the easiest thing, he was dreading when Lucy asked the question, which was bound to happen at some point.

"But you won't have to leave like Dad did?" Edmund asked again, still not sounding entirely convinced.

"No Ed, I'm staying right here." Peter said gently. "And even if I did have to go, which I don't and won't, I'd return."

Edmund stared down at the floor. "You wouldn't forget me?" He asked.

Peter wanted to laugh, but forced it back. "No Ed, I'll always remember you no matter what." He said softly. "You're my little brother after all."

Edmund gave a small smile at this before sitting up straight. "Just as long as you don't have to go I'm alright." He breathed.

"Well that's good, because I don't have to go." Peter replied with a smile.

"Will Dad come back soon?" Edmund wondered aloud.

Peter smiled again. "I'm sure he will." He said quietly. "But until then you're stuck with me."

Edmund made a face instantly. "That doesn't sound fun." He grumbled, but he was playing around.

Peter gasped in mock horror. "I'll have you know I am great fun." He said with a slight nod of his head.

"Oh really?" Edmund spat playfully back. "I don't think so."

"And why's that?"

"Well, you've been sat on your bed staring out the window for the past twenty minutes." Edmund said with a smirk and a shrug. "That's not very fun is it?"

Peter glared at him. "Fine then." He said, standing up. "I'm taking you down the park."

"But I was just about to have lunch." Edmund told him.

Peter shrugged. "I've got some pocket money." He said "I'll buy you an ice cream.

Edmund raised an eyebrow. "Ice cream for lunch?" He questioned.

Peter grinned. "Why not?" He said with a shrug.

Edmund stared at him for a moment, before smiling widely. "I'll get my coat." He said happily, before rushing from the room and down the stairs.

Peter smiled after him, heading slowly down.

In all honesty he had the very fear Edmund had voiced, but he was nowhere near old enough to fight, and this calmed him a little.

As long as the war was over soon, he reckoned he'd be just fine.

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡♡☆
Runs to write more one shots because I have none 🏃‍♀️😅🥴😳