15: It was worth it

Jan 15th - Prompt: Sunrise

-----------------

Peter frowned a little as he woke that morning, shifting in the hammock and hoping it didn't tip him out.

He yawned, before turning to his left, where Edmund should be, laying in the hammock beside him, curled into his arms, but he wasn't there.

His heart skipping a beat Peter looked over to his right to see if Edmund was in his own hammock, but with no luck, Edmund wasn't in the tent at all.

Sitting up quickly, Peter tried not to panick as he stood and grabbed his boots, pulling them on and grabbing his sword.

The battle of Beruna had happened the day before, and with Edmunds near death so fresh in Peter's mind, he couldn't help but worry when his little brother disappeared.

He attached his sword to his belt, before ducking out the tent, squinting in the rising sun and shielding his eyes.

He glanced around, worrying even more when he didn't see Edmund.

But he took a deep breath, telling himself to calm down, and headed off in search of his brother.

He eventually found him, sitting where Peter had had the conversation with Aslan, and allowed himself to relax.

"Ed." He murmured, hurrying over and sitting beside him.

Edmund glanced at him. "Hey." He breathed.

"You have no idea how much you just scared me." Peter told him, unable to get rid of the angry tone in his voice. "I didn't know where you were!"

Edmund swallowed hard, sighing and glancing back out at the Sunrise. "Sorry." He whispered.

Peter stared at him for a second or two, before sighing. "Why'd you wander off?" He asked.

Edmund shrugged. "I just woke up and couldn't get back to sleep." He answered. "So decided to get some fresh air."

"How did you even get up here?" Peter said, frowning. "You could hardly stand yesterday."

Edmund shrugged. "It took a while I'll admit that." He sighed. "And it hurt yeah, but it was worth it, don't you think?"

Peter turned to glance at the Sunrise, but eventually nodded. "It is beautiful." He admitted with a nod.

There was silence for a while, before Edmund swallowed hard. "I never thought I'd see another sunrise." He whispered, voice choked.

Peter's heart shattered at the sentence, and tears filled his eyes.

"Sorry." Edmund muttered, realising how depressing what he'd said just sounded.

"Don't be." Peter said gently. "Is that why you came up here?"

Edmund shrugged. "Yeah." He breathed. "I'm just... glad to be alive. And I guess the Sunrise proves I am... in a way."

Peter nodded, hesitating a little before wrapping an arm around Edmunds shoulders. "I understand." He whispered. "Next time though don't just wander off, you scared me."

Edmund nodded, resting his head against Peter's shoulder. "Sorry." He breathed.

Peter sat there for a moment, before yesterday flashed before his eyes, and before he knew it, he'd pulled Edmund so close he was almost sat in his lap. He buried his face against Edmunds hair, taking a deep breath as he forced back tears.

Edmund just let him be, burying his face against his older brothers neck and wrapping his arms around his waist, knowing Peter needed this, probably more than even he would let on.

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆