22: You're my hero

January 22nd - Prompt: Hero

------------------

"Do you have any homework for the holidays Edmund?" 

Edmund looked up at his Mum as he kicked off his school shoes, nodding a little. "I do." He breathed. "Although I don't know why I have to do homework during the summer holidays."

His Mum chuckled as he rolled his eyes, shaking her head a little. "Well, if we get it over and done with tonight, Peter and Susan are coming home tomorrow." 

Edmund's face lit up for a second before he frowned. "When do I get to go to boarding school?" He asked, just as Lucy came running down the stairs. 

"When you're ten." His Mum told him.

"That's two years away!" Edmund grumbled.

"It'll get here in no time." Helen told him. "Now come and have a snack and we'll get the homework done, then you can spend as much time with your siblings as you can." 

Edmund nodded and hurried off into the kitchen for his promised snack, Lucy running off after him. 

---------------------------

"So, you just have to write about your hero." Helen said as she sat at the table with Edmund, glancing at the paper. "That should be easy enough for you. Just chose who your hero is, and write about why they're your hero."

"Right." Edmund murmured, seeming to be thinking as he stared down at the paper. 

"Who's your hero?" His Mum asked him. 

Edmund was silent for a long time, before he smiled and grabbed the pencil, beginning to write with no hesitation whatsoever.

---------------------------

The second Peter walked through the door the next day he felt something collide with his middle, almost sending him falling backwards onto Susan. 

He couldn't help but chuckle though as he wrapped his arms around his brother, holding him tight. "Well hello." He teased. 

"I've missed you so much." Edmund said as he pulled away, moving to hug Susan as he let Peter actually get into the house. 

"We've missed you too." Susan laughed. 

"So, how was your first year Susan?" Her Mum asked as she led her two oldest children into the kitchen where tea was waiting, Edmund and Lucy following behind... Well, Lucy was more clinging to Peter. 

"It was goo actually." Susan breathed. "It's strange that I've already been there a year." 

Edmund stared at her. "And you've only come home a few times in that year." He said, not sounding impressed. 

Susan laughed. "I can't come home during term time Ed." She told him. 

Edmund sighed, nodding slowly before he seemed to remember something. "Oh! Peter," He said, jumping up from where he'd sat down. "Hang on, I have something for you." 

Peter frowned a little, waiting as Edmund hurried up the stairs and ran back down again a few seconds later, handing him a few sheets of paper. "What's this?" He asked. 

"My homework." Edmund said almost proudly. 

"Your homework?" Peter said, somewhat confused. 

"Just read it." Edmund said excitedly. 

Peter smiled a little, before glancing down and reading the first page, instantly recognising his younger brother's rather neat handwriting, neat for an eight year old that is. 

He couldn't help the smile that spread across his face when he read who Edmund's hero was, and glanced up at him. "Ed, really?" He asked. 

Edmund nodded firmly. "Really." He said. "You're my hero Peter." 

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆