189: Alliance

July 8th - Prompt: Nightmare

-----------

"A letter for your, your majesty."

Peter glanced up from where he'd been signing a few papers whilst sipping on a cup of tea, smiling a little. "Thank you Tumnus." He said kindly, watching as the faun bowed and left the room.

Peter placed down his quill and made sure his cup was nowhere near the paper so he couldn't knock it and spill it, before opening up the sealed envelope, unfolding the paper, and reading.

He frowned over the writing for a good two minutes, before taking a deep breath. "Yeah, over my dead body." He growled.

"I told you you talk to yourself."

Peter's head snapped up, rolling his eyes when he saw Susan walking in. "Yeah yeah okay." He breathed, turning back to the letter.

"What's that?" Susan asked, walking over to try and peer over his shoulder.

"Some letter from the King of some foreign country I've heard of a few times." Peter muttered in reply. "Wants to make an alliance."

"You've met this King?" Susan asked.

"Once," Peter said, waving his hand as if to dismiss it. "Briefly, didn't really get to talk much, King Orion I think."

Susan frowned. "Why do you sound so displeased?" She asked curiously. "That's good isn't it? The more countries we have that don't want to attack us, the better."

Peter shook his head, sighing. "Yes, an alliance is always good." He agreed. "But not in this way."

"What way?"

"The King has a daughter." Peter started. "This letter is basically a marriage offer."

Susan raised an eyebrow. "For you?" She asked.

Peter laughed. "I wish." He grumbled. "No, this King wants to marry his daughter off to Edmund, in return for an alliance between his country and Narnia."

Susan took a deep breath. "Oh..." She said abruptly, looking slightly uncomfortable.

"Edmund has only just turned 18!" Peter snapped. "That's too young to be getting married."

Susan calmed down a little, taking another deep breath. "I wouldn't say its too young-"

Peter stopped her sentence with only a glare. "Narnia does not do arranged marriages, you know that Susan." He told her. "Everybody knows that! I am not letting Edmund marry some girl he has never met, at the age of 18. He will marry for love when he meets a girl he likes, if that ever happens."

Susan sighed. "I agree with everything you're saying Peter." She assured him. "But what about this country? Surely the King isn't going to be happy that we said no to his offer of an alliance."

"I am happy to form an alliance under any other circumstances." Peter cut in. "Even if I have to marry the girl, but I am not marrying off my younger brother Susan, not a chance, it's like a nightmare come to life!"

Susan smiled gently, nodding a little.

"I will write to the King of this country - I don't even know how to pronounce the name - and tell him that we kindly decline his offer, but are willing to try something else." Peter said firmly.