39: Quiet

February 8th - Prompt: Waterfall

------------------

Edmund sat, staring up at the waterfall with a distant look on his face, ignoring his siblings as they laughed along with each other.

The four had come for a day out, a picnic, Lucy picking the spot because of how beautiful it was, and even though it was a while from Cair, Peter had agreed and said they'd make a day of it.

Edmund shifted slightly on the blanket, and moved his gaze to the other side of the river and up, swallowing hard.

Images of the frozen fox kept flashing in his mind, of the wolves and Jadis and the slap. He shuddered, but turned to grab a strawberry.

"Ed you good?" Susan asked, frowning.

Edmund glanced up at her. "Yeah, just a cold shiver." He murmured.

Susan nodded slowly before turning to Peter, who was too busy laughing at Lucy to of noticed anything.

She tapped him on the shoulder when Edmund had turned away, nodding at her younger brother and clearly getting across that she was worried.

Peter turned to Edmund, frowning. What was Susan going on about.

"I'm going for a walk." Edmund said suddenly, standing and brushing down his trousers.

Susan took this opportunity and stood too. "I'll come with you." She said gently. "I could do with stretching my legs."

Edmund stared at her for a while before nodding and heading off down the river, Susan falling into line beside him.

"You're awfully quiet Ed." She murmured after a while.

Edmund hesitated. "I'm always quiet." He said.

This was true, but Susan shook her head. "Not this quiet." She breathed. "Is everything okay?"

Edmund sighed, biting his lip before taking a deep breath. "Just some memories is all." He breathed. "Jadis turned the fox to stone up there."

Susan followed his gaze and sighed. "I understand." She said quietly, before placing a hand on Edmund's shoulder. "Is it bothering you."

Edmund was silent. "I wouldn't say bothering me." He said eventually, sighing. "I just keep remembering it."

Susan took a deep breath. "Well, that's because you keep thinking about it." She said firmly. "So why don't we go back and all have some fun, I'm sure between the three of us we can easily take your mind off it."

Edmund smiled slightly. "Sounds like fun." He breathed.

Susan smiled back. "Come on then." She breathed. "You'll be okay."

Edmund nodded, his smile widening. "You're right." He agreed. "I'll be fine."

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡