168: Let it happen

June 17th - Prompt: Lost boy

-----------

"Just - Just let it happen Pete..."

Peter swallowed hard at the slurred voice of his brother, shaking his head as he ripped bits of his shirt off.

"Peter..."

Peter didn't listen, shoving the material against the bleeding wound in Edmunds chest.

"I - I'm done Pete, I - I can't-"

"Stop bloody talking." Peter all but growled, feeling sick at the blood between his fingers.

But Edmund ignored him. "Maybe - perhaps it was a good thing they - they-"

"Don't you dare finish that sentence." Peter snapped, the image of the wolf scratching Edmund along the chest so deep it turned fatal, flashing in his mind.

Edmund had been really struggling recently. A few things had happened over the past few weeks that had brought up his past, and he was reacting badly to it.

He hadn't been well, he hadn't been eating as much, hadn't been sleeping as much, Peter was worried he'd slipped into depression, and was really now starting to think he was right with the way Edmund was talking.

He regretted dragging Edmund out on a walk. He'd only been trying to help, trying to get some light back in his brother's eyes, but instead they'd ended up being attacked, with Edmund being the one fatally injured.

Edmund let out a sob. "Just let me go Peter." He whispered, gasping in pain. "I can't do it anymore."

"Yes you can." Peter said forcefully. "Because I'm going to help you. I will make you see what I see in you if it's the last thing I ever do."

Edmund stared at Peter for a while through half closed eyes, before sighing. "I'm lost Peter." He choked. "I'm lost and I can't be found."

"Will you stop talking nonsense." Peter told him, pressing down harder on the scratches. "Anyone can always be found, including you. This pain isn't going to last forever Eddy, I can promise you that."

But Edmund shook his head. "The pain will never leave." He mumbled, pain etched into his face. "No matter how much I try and make it, it will always be with me."

"Look, just stop talking and save your breath." Peter told him, voice firm but scared.

Edmund swallowed hard, licking his lips before sighing. "I - I'm so, so - sorry Pete." He whispered. "I do love you, more than - than anything."

Peter watched as Edmunds eyes closed, and quickly gave him a shake. "Open your eyes." He snapped.

But Edmund didn't, and it was with a sob that Peter realised his heart wasn't beating. "E - Ed?" He whispered, voice choked and shaky. "Edmund."

Peter sat there, eyes wide, tears streaming down his cheeks, covered in his brother's blood, hardly daring to believe what was right in front of his eyes.

He sat back slowly, Edmunds body laying on the ground in front of him, as he ran a bloody hand through his hair, not caring in the least that it stained the strands red. "No." He whispered, shaking his head back and forth. "No, no, no."

He sat staring at Edmund for five whole minutes, and in that time his brother never took one breath, never moved even a finger, and never opened his eyes.

And it was with a heart wrenching scream that it finally hit him, his brother was gone.

Edmunds pain was over... but Peter's was only just beginning.

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡