Small Bump

Andy's POV:

I anxiously waited by my phone hoping the call would come through soon. Emilyn had gotten the paternity test two days ago and I knew she was on the way to discuss the results with her doctor. Juliet had surprisingly been supportive of this minor inconvenience in our relationship. Since her dad being shot she'd really made leaps and bounds to work on herself. Which to mention he survived and was making a full recovery. Our relationship had come full circle and we were finally addressing the problems. I tap my knee and Juliet comes over grabbing my hand. In this moment I was thankful for her distraction. I hadn't really talked about the pregnancy with her even though she was being supportive. If I was honest I had no idea what we were going to do. It's fifty - fifty and I deep down hoped it was mine. Was that wrong? Maybe but it's the closest as I'd felt to Charlee in over a year now. I'd spoken to Emilyn over the phone most days since finding out. I wasn't being unfaithful to Juliet although I still thought of Emilyn and play pretend in my mind. Playing out fantasies in my mind. It was fine to pretend so long as I didn't act upon said fantasies. I'd gotten it out of my system. Well I keep telling myself that but the desire to go there was definitely a task every day. I don't know how to explain it but it's as if Charlee wasn't dead as if she lived inside Emilyn. I'd never say that out loud though I know I would be seen as crazy.

"You nervous?" Juliet asks and I nod.

"Yeah. I don't know what will happen if it's mine." I say truthfully and Juliet sighs.

"Whatever the news we will work through it. Besides she's got Ronnie and it's just us." Juliet says which only slightly elviated my anxiety.

"What would we tell people though?" I ask and she stays silent for a moment.

"I don't know Andy. It all just depends on what Emilyn wants. May even be easier for Ronnie to say it's his and we just do visits on the low." She says and I nod despite the pain I felt inside. I didn't want that to be the case and if it was mine I most definitely wanted it to be known. If lies we're going to be told I'd rather say Emilyn was Charlee and she went into hiding and we'd kept it a secret. No lie is a good lie but I'd rather one of the other. With a sigh I get up and head outside for a smoke. I needed to calm my mind because these thoughts were becoming too much.

.
.

Later that day

I get a message and it was from Emilyn. My heart starts racing and I was about to find out if the baby was mine.

Emilyn: Hey are you and Juliet home?

Andy: Yeah why?

Emilyn: Ok I'll be over in thirty 🙂

Andy: How did the appointment go?

Emilyn: That's why I'm coming over.

Andy: Oh.. Ok I'll see you soon

With that I let out a groan of frustration. I'd sat around all day festering in my thoughts and I had to wait another thirty minutes to find out.  Telling Juliet that we were expecting visitors she quickly does some cleaning and gets changed into something more presentable.

I hear the car pull up our driveway and I pace back and forth as my anxiety kicks in again. Juliet answers the door and Emilyn walks in. I was kinda expecting Ronnie to come with her but she was alone. Emilyn greets Juliet before coming over and sitting across from me.

"How was your appointment?" Juliet asks sitting next me. Emilyn smiles and grabs an envelope out of her bag. The results.

"It went really well. Babies growing as expected and next appointment we'll be about to hear the heartbeat." She says and I nod reaching out to grab the envelope. Opening it up I see that it was the latest scan she got. I feel the tears build up as I remember the last time I looked at one of these. Juliet puts her hand on my thigh and tries to soothe me.