6

She untied Juana first and asked her to help untie the other children. Then she had all the children work together to untie the adults while she stood back. "Ya niños, vengan aquí," she called when she saw everyone was untied.

The children from her town all went running to her and forced her into the middle of a group hug. She couldn't hold back her laugh. But she noticed about a dozen or more other children standing still. While maybe only four or five went over to the adults who were released. She finally looked to the adults. She could hear their heartbeats accelerate due to her looking at them. She picked up a young boy from her town and had her other arm around Juana's shoulder to hopefully make them realize she wasn't a threat.

"I'm taking my children home. But do you know them? Are any from your towns?" she raised her chin towards the group of children who stood together, afraid and confused.

"No, I don't recognize them." One man spoke up and she noticed the other adults shaking their heads as no.

"Then I'm taking them with me. You, children, come here." She called. The group of children looked to each other. Then back at Serafina and the group of children she had around her. "It's alright," she told them, "I'll take you to my town. You'll be safe there. Then we'll look for your parents, está bien?" She pushed Juana forward a bit and she understood.

"Really, it's okay! She's really nice and she'll protect us from all the bad people!" Juana excitedly yelled.

"Juana, you and the others find the cart and horses from town. Do you know how to get the horses ready? And stay on that side! Don't look past these tents, alright?" Serafina called, she had to quickly stop the children from going to the side of the tents where the bodies were strewn about.

"¡Sí, Doña! ¡Mi papá me enseñó!" she responded, gathering the other children to help and staying towards the backs of the tents near the carts, supplies, and horses. Serafina watched them get everything ready. Juana was a very good leader, and they were done very quickly. "Doña, mi papá only puts two horses to pull the cart. But we have three horses that we still need to bring home. I don't know what to do with them." Juana informed Serafina.

"Who here can ride a horse?" she asked all the children. There were two young boys, about fourteen or fifteen, from the new group of children who raised their hands along with Juana and her younger sister Teresa. "You young men, get a horse and ride alongside the cart, or behind. Your choice. Teresa, you take the other horse and lead, it's a straight drive home for the most part, I'll tell you when we need to turn but I think you'll recognize it by then. Juana, you'll be responsible for the cart and all the little ones alright?" The children nodded in agreement.

"Aren't you coming with us?" one of the young men asked with a confused expression on his face, "I thought you said she'd keep us safe?" he directed at Juana. He was frightened, but he felt better knowing the ghost would be with them; when she no longer was, he didn't like the plan anymore. His friend, the other young man, didn't seem to care either way.

"Animals don't really like La Doña now that I think about it," Juana said with her own confusion showing now after the realization.

"They don't, I think I scare them," she smiled. Casting a quick glance to the adults. Bringing chills to all of them when they realized she could tell they were afraid and that even animals were afraid of her too. "But don't worry. I'll be right behind you all. You'll be safe. If you feel I'm not there and want to make sure you can always just call out to me. I'll answer."

"¿Podemos ir a casa también?" one of the men asked, avoiding eye contact.

"I don't care what you do." She said, "Help yourselves to whatever is here. Now that my children have their things, we're going to leave. Adiós." Then she nodded to the children to start. "Not too fast, be careful," she shouted as they left the rest of the rescued prisoners behind.