10

Serafina noticed she enjoyed speaking to her own kind. She didn't have to hide her looks, strength, or speed. It was much more comfortable. It was like she was normal because they were just like her. There was a bit of friction between her and these new people upon meeting. She believed they were trying to show their dominance. She wasn't sure if it was because they were vampires or just because they were men. At least once they realized they couldn't beat her, they became much more amiable. She was much more willing to speak with them after she knocked them down a peg. Serafina looked back at Danny, satisfied with his pensive appearance. She slowed her pace so she could speak with him, "your abilities are tied to anger?" she asked.

He caught up, still keeping a respectful distance behind and to her right. "Yes. I've always had problems with my anger, even when young. I may have learned it from my father. I'm not sure. He would just get angry and start beating my mother and me. He beat my mother to death. Told the people in our village she ran away because she was a whore. No one questioned it. I'm sure they all knew the truth but just didn't want to get involved. I hated all of them. So when I grew up and became strong enough, I ran away. Became a boxer. I would have these outbursts in my matches. They were always surprised when I managed to take down men twice my size. I would just explode with strength beyond my normal limits. I made a lot of money betting on myself when others wouldn't. My father found me. He had heard I was successful and wanted money. I was still afraid of him." He looked down in shame, "He beat me badly, robbed me, and left me for dead. My own father. Then Benny found me. Turned me. Saved me. Before I joined him, I decided to pay a visit to my father. All the hatred I had for the man burst out like my fights, but this time, I also grew physically. The fear on his face was the best. I got to beat him for once. I beat him for days. Drawing it out. Torturing him. I think I broke every bone in his body. My hate allowed me to ignore the blood that covered him. He got what he deserved." He looked back up. Nodding to himself, "everything he deserved." He glanced back at Serafina with a businesslike expression, "But that's how I realized I had my ability. It's not just changing into a giant monster with extreme strength either."

"You can also tell when others get angry as well." She guessed.

He nodded in confirmation. "It's like I feel it when it hits people around me and it amplifies my own anger, which helps my strength. So it's good for my abilities, but not my temper. I have a short fuse. I'm sorry." He told her, then paused while his seriousness slipped as a small smile grew on his face, "You knew I knew when you were angry. You kept hiding it." He smiled, "You're a very angry person too. I could sense your fury. You're like myself."

She smiled back, "I don't think I'm as angry as you. But yes. Many things make me angry. But I really need to hold back or else I might lose control and set everyone around me on fire."

"You're bonding! This is good!" a voice interrupted from her left. Her smile grew as she looked over to the voice. She could tell Benny didn't like being ignored. "If you stay you can get to know us better. We can be good friends! You two, like an angry brother and sister. Me, your much more handsome man friend. But remember! You two should be more like siblings. Nothing more." He added seriously as they neared some homes. She shook her head and rolled her eyes. He was ridiculous.

They walked towards a nice large house that was very well maintained. But there was also a smaller home nearby that was also untouched with a guard in front. She looked at both. "Is that the mayor's house?" she asked, gesturing to the larger home.