41

Rosalie's lessons started immediately that first day she got the car. She had the whole family as an audience. She loved her new car and quickly became obsessed. She made a schedule with Carlisle for additional sessions to happen every day. If she ever got too antsy waiting for him to return from work, she was given the go-ahead by Esme to ask her. It wasn't as though a lack of sunlight could hinder them. If she wasn't in the car taking driving lessons, then she could be found reading the owner's manual.

This behavior didn't bother Serafina. She found Rosalie incredibly cute while immersed in something she found genuinely interesting. She was always telling Serafina what she learned. She was proud of her mate. But while she was proud, she didn't like to be in the car with her anymore for these driving lessons. The first real lesson with just Rosalie, Carlisle, and Serafina was what made Serafina not want to be a part of it. Serafina found it somewhat traumatizing.

That first time, Carlisle offered for her to lean forward so she could also learn. She refused. She had said she would wait for Rosalie to know so that she could teach her alone. They all agreed. Then Serafina lay comfortably in the backseat, one leg bent and the other crossed over it. Her bare foot dangled in the air. She was listening to the lesson while not listening. She was focusing on Rosalie's voice, finding comfort in hearing her. They skidded to a stop a few times. She could feel the vehicle accelerate on occasion. After she had relaxed and managed to get herself into a meditative state, she heard an exclamation from Carlisle, and the car braked sharply, causing Serafina to fly into the back of the front seat and end up lying on the floor between the front and backseats.

"Sera, are you alright?" Rosalie quickly parked the car on the side of the dirt road and looked at Serafina stuck on the floor in the back, "I'm so sorry!" she said, leaning over the seat and helping to pull her upright.

Carlisle couldn't help his chuckles. Both women gave him an unbelieving look, and he cleared his throat, "Are you alright, Serafina?"

"Don't," Serafina answered nonplussed. Her eyes narrowed at the man as she realized the family no longer feared her. Her annoyance began to bring a slight glow to her eyes. Her reaction brought a smile to Rosalie's face as she grabbed her by her jaw and forced her to look at herself. She gave her a quick kiss. This immediately calmed Serafina down.

"I'm sorry, it won't happen again. I'm getting the hang of it," Rosalie said with a smile as she returned to sitting correctly in her seat.

Rosalie lied. It happened again. Serafina didn't want to lay in the backseat any more. She sat rigidly in the back. Nervous. She would watch the road and attempt to brace herself whenever she suspected Rosalie would hit the brakes too suddenly. She was agitated the entire ride because she soon realized she couldn't find a pattern for these stops at all. But whenever Rosalie looked back at her briefly or asked how she was doing, Serafina was all praises and never complained.

The next day, in preparation for their next session, Rosalie led Serafina by the hand to the car. When Carlisle had gone out to meet them, he saw Serafina's face and asked to speak privately with Rosalie. They went a bit away and lowered their voices for only the two of them, "I think we should just learn by ourselves," he said calmly.

"Why can't Serafina come?" Rosalie asked with confusion.