Montana 1966

A beautiful new red BMW convertible pulled into a small town's diner parking lot. Neither of the two occupants knew where they were going. They were frustrated and thought they would stop to ask where the Cullen house was from someone in the town since they were trying to surprise the others. Sadly, neither thought to ask for this information before the disagreement. They only knew the town's name- Kalispell.

Carlisle had a preference for his family's homes. He figured they would draw less attention if they were in small towns to keep a low profile. It just needed large acres of wilderness nearby, and he was happy. Serafina told him that wasn't the case. She always lived in small towns. Even when human. With her looks, she drew all the attention, and that was before she was turned. All of the Cullens' appearances were exemplary. She knew they would draw all eyes to themselves. Especially her earthbound goddess Rosalie. Carlisle seemed to understand. But he still thought it would be best to stay in smaller towns. He believed it would be easier to build their influence, which could protect them during their time in town.

Serafina agreed with that. She figured it would be easier to intimidate people if they built up their influence in town. There was always a bit of fear in her own town, just enough not to question herself. She figured they meant to do the same. When she voiced her thoughts, she was scolded by her adoptive parents, who intended to kill the townsfolk with kindness. Who would think the sweet family in town were secretly monsters when they were always looking out for others? Serafina just shook her head in disbelief but didn't question it anymore. She loved and hated the Cullens for how nice they could be.

When the two walked into the diner, their presence immediately drew eyes. Serafina knew it. She brought a friendly smile, appearing very approachable, while Rosalie attempted to do the same. But Rosalie had trouble with men's glances. While most women would look at her with jealousy and admiration, the men didn't. They only looked at her with lust, making her disgusted. When alive, she didn't mind; she loved the attention until her last day of life. Now she hated that look. That look led to her death. It made her attempt at a warm smile disappear, replacing it with a somewhat cold and arrogant demeanor. The contrast between the two was night and day. But Serafina gripped Rosalie's hand tightly, causing her to relax a bit. Serafina took the lead in walking them to the counter.

Rosalie felt Serafina's warmth and comfort as she led her to the counter. She remembered how the Cullens were surprised when they first saw Serafina interact with strangers. She would put a smile on her face and speak politely to them or joke with them. She was good at reading people, engaging with them, and people loved her for it. When the others asked how she could do it, she and Serafina looked at them as if they were stupid and reminded them of her past. She lived and worked in a saloon and brothel, assisted the gang's grifters, and was a successful thief in her own right by distracting with small talk while pickpocketing those she engaged. After her death, she was a scary ghost; she could act. She was good with people. She didn't like them. But she was good with them. She reminded them that the Serafina they saw at home was the real her and that they shouldn't get used to the smiley and friendly Serafina. The friendly Serafina was just her mask.

Emmett had joked that she was like a chameleon. Able to fit into any situation. But then he went off into a tangent about how it was probably a subset of a dragon which only infuriated Serafina, who didn't like being called a dragon or lizard.

After a beat of silence from everyone in the diner. Serafina finally changed her smile into an awkward one as she smiled at the older waitress, "Excuse me, can you please help us?"