Massachusetts 2006

Rosalie and Serafina spent their gifted week from Edward in Massachusetts at a luxurious ski resort. Serafina feigned excitement about skiing to make Rosalie happy, but Rosalie knew she was faking it. She was just grateful that she still accompanied herself for everything she wanted to do without complaining because that's how Serafina was. To her, at least.

Serafina didn't hate the trip. She kept herself entertained by paying extra attention to Rosalie. She loved seeing her happy. Rosalie was happy doing things she was good at or interested in. Skiing was something she was very good at it. When some men who claimed to be professionals had offered to teach her and Serafina, Rosalie scoffed at their attempt and pulled Serafina away, and then she showed them up on the slopes. That's how good she was.

Serafina was also skilled. She was a quick study and already enhanced due to what she was. But where Rosalie was a naturally competitive person, Serafina wasn't as much. Not unless money was involved. Skiing wasn't something she was too invested in, so she would watch Rosalie. While Rosalie challenged those 'professional' skiers down double black diamond runs, Serafina would casually glide down the blues or greens before meeting up at the finish line to congratulate her.

One day during their trip, Rosalie had beaten several young men down the most challenging slope and thought she might have beaten her own record. She thought so because she managed to beat Serafina. Usually, Serafina would wait for her, but she hadn't seen her yet. Instead of waiting, she decided to go over to her; sensing her direction, she figured she was on a green run that day.

When she arrived, she found her guess was correct. She saw Serafina slowly going down the hill with several small children while laughing. She didn't know what made her mate join this group, but she wouldn't complain. She smiled at the interaction.

Although vampires couldn't sleep, they often daydreamed. At least Rosalie did. Before she was changed, Rosalie would fantasize about her future. Her husband, child, and their happy life together. After she was turned, it turned into an unhappy marriage, but still a happy life because of her child. Even after meeting Serafina, she couldn't help herself. She would think about what she should have had.

But as time went by, her fantasies changed. The last one she had was of her horrible marriage with an elite businessman, her happy child, and her bohemian female neighbor, whom the other elites scolded behind her back for her strange lifestyle because she didn't need a man to be successful. She would, of course, have an illicit affair with said neighbor, and they would run away together with her child. Her fantasies always ended in similar ways now. She never missed her husband; they were only a sperm donor. But those fantasies always included Serafina and their child now.

She knew she needed to get those sad thoughts out of her head. She didn't want to hurt Serafina anymore. She was more than happy with just the two of them. But she would see scenes like this often because her mate loved children just as much as she did, and they would constantly bring up those old fantasies.

She wanted to tell Serafina how much she loved her and that they were enough as long as they were together. Serafina said things along those lines whenever they saw each other, but she didn't. She sometimes felt she didn't say it nearly enough.

Serafina felt a lingering gaze and looked up to see Rosalie lost in thought while watching her. She stood upright and waved toward her. Rosalie seemed to be taken out of her thoughts as she smiled softly and waved back.