Pennsylvania 1950

They didn't travel long, as Serafina considered just dropping them off, so she was willing to run more frequently than usual. But she still preferred walking. She couldn't help herself. She would slow, and Alice enjoyed it because they would get to speak more. She enjoyed asking Serafina questions about herself. It didn't mean Serafina always answered her questions, but sometimes she would.

They had just heard how she began learning about being a vampire from Red. Serafina had just finished telling them about how Red's sire was chasing a pervert south when Red had met up with her. They couldn't help laughing at how difficult it was for Serafina to learn from him and how he still set her up for failure when meeting the Volturi by telling her they were called Vultures.

A comfortable silence engulfed them after their laugh. Alice complimented Serafina's outfit. Serafina asked why she didn't have more modern clothes since she had good taste in fashion. Alice mentioned that they were still practicing their diet while traveling, so they weren't very good at being near people and tended to stay away from the busier areas. Being away from people, they didn't need money. Their clothes were a bit out of date, but they were at least clean.

Serafina wouldn't have that. She had seen how they were getting more comfortable around people. They still had their moments, mostly Jasper, who sometimes became too overwhelmed if near too many people. Alice and Serafina believed it was more due to what was happening to draw so many people. An example was how he was okay if it was just a group enjoying themselves in a park. But if it was some rowdy event, they believed being surrounded by those aggressive emotions became too much for him. And if any blood was around, even Alice's hunting instincts were triggered. Otherwise, they were fine. Serafina decided to reward them. So, she took them shopping. She wouldn't buy them a wardrobe since they were technically homeless and had nowhere to put it. But she would buy them a new outfit to make a good first impression on their new family.

Entering the shop, all patron's eyes were on them. They could hear the whispers about how beautiful they all were. Jasper felt uncomfortable, but it was more at the fact they even considered him 'beautiful,' which he wasn't called until becoming a vampire. Back in his day, he used to be handsome. He still heard handsome, but when a few younger children called him beautiful, he couldn't help but sigh. On the other hand, Alice would ignore everyone around, focusing on the clothes, pulling Jasper and Serafina to look at whatever caught her eye. Serafina couldn't help smiling at her excitement.

Leaving the shop, they all looked much sharper, in Serafina's opinion. She and Alice had agreed on a lovely mint green knit pencil skirt for Alice and a matching knit top. She accessorized with darker pink heels, a belt, and a handbag. Serafina thought the pink was a bit much, but she had to admit Alice pulled it off well. As for Jasper, well. A military uniform was as flashy as he was ever willing to go before. If he got to pick his outfit, he preferred to keep it simple—pleated grey trousers, white button-up, and white bucks. Serafina and Alice had tried to talk him into a plain white shirt, but he was self-conscious about revealing his scars; he had many more from when Serafina first met him. Although he knew the humans couldn't see them, he didn't want to intimidate the vampires they were trying to join. He didn't want to ruin things for Alice. Serafina did manage to find a mint knit vest to match Alice. Jasper initially wanted to say no, but when he saw Alice's eyes light up at the sight, he immediately agreed. As for Serafina, she was happy with her outfit, and nothing stood out to her except for a new hat. This one was in the pillbox style and white but still had her signature veil. She thought it was cute. But she had to change up her other accessories to match now too. Which she did, and she felt it was worth it.