70

Serafina sat in her first-period class, watching the teacher write his name on the board. Mr. Varner for Trigonometry. He provided the syllabus, which clearly explained the grading standards. His grading was different. It was harsh in her classmate's opinions from the whispers she overheard. But it would work in her favor. Thirty percent for the semester final exam, which was going to be based on everything learned. Forty percent for quizzes, which apparently would be happening often. Once a week. Ten percent for attendance. And Twenty percent for homework.

She could work with this if things got tough. She stopped trying after her third run-through of high school. So, if this was how he graded things, she would still pass even if she happened to leave on occasion.

Mr. Varner told the class they would do a test to check everyone's levels. He threw a veiled threat: they could be thrown into the sophomore math class if they didn't perform adequately. Serafina looked at her test and began answering it. Nothing too difficult. She finished quickly and looked toward the front of the class. Emmett sat in the front of the class. The seats were set alphabetically. She was a row behind him. She saw him scribbling away on his test. She grinned at his appearance. He was such a nerd sometimes. He tried too hard.

"Ms. Hart, eyes on your own paper," Mr. Varner yelled. She looked in his direction. Smile gone. Several students looked over at her. Some whispered that she was looking at Emmett.

Emmett heard, looked back at her, and saw her sitting without movement on her test. She gave a glance to him. And he knew she probably was watching him before, like the whispers said. He narrowed his eyes at her, knowing she was more than likely mocking him in her mind. She trusted her instincts, answered on her first try, and was quick with her tests. He, on the other hand, just liked to be sure. He then turned back to his test to triple-check his work.

"Quiet! Everyone, back to your quizzes! You're wasting time!" He announced to the class. The reminder hit the students hard. All heads bowed down again to their work. He looked over toward Serafina, who sat with her eyes closed as though meditating. He made his way to her, "Hey! Ms. Hart, I recommend you take this more seriously. I will have no qualms about throwing you back a grade in math. Do your test." He said after obnoxiously patting her desk.

"I'm done," Serafina answered. She never opened her eyes.

The students were multitasking and eavesdropping while working. Many of the pencils scribbling on their tests faltered at her statement before continuing much slower. It was as though the new information was a blow to their test-taking abilities.

"I find that hard to believe," he stated as he snatched the paper and made his way to the front of the room. He sat at his desk and began grading her test, "Did you cheat?" he asked suddenly.

"No," she answered. Her eyes were still closed.

"This was completed way too quickly for you to have gotten this grade. You had to have cheated," he began mumbling. He stood and furiously wrote a question on the board, "Solve this."

"Why?" She asked. She finally opened her eyes to look at what he wrote.

"To prove you didn't cheat," he declared.

"I don't have to prove anything to you," she answered.