84

After the awkward introduction at home, Rosalie, Serafina, and Emmett went to the park to escape. Rosalie bounced the rubber ball continuously against the wall outside the town park restroom. She would bounce it to Emmett, who would bounce it back. They slowed down their usual game due to being in town. Serafina sat on the picnic table nearby, watching them but getting sidetracked by the children playing on the playground.

"Think fast!" Emmett shouted as he bounced it harder and faster to where it bounced back and headed toward Serafina.

Serafina caught it with one hand without looking over. There were compliments from some admirers nearby. No matter where they went, people were always watching. Emmett and Rosalie feigned being impressed. At the same time, Serafina tossed the ball back to Emmett. But Rosalie walked over to her to see what Serafina was looking at.

She joined Serafina to sit beside her, but while Serafina sat with her whole body on the table, Rosalie sat on the table with her feet on the picnic table bench. Rosalie's back was touching Serafina's side. She caught a pass from Emmett but then turned to see what Serafina was looking at, "Miss town?" she asked after seeing the children in the distance.

"Yeah, maybe we should go off on our own after graduation?" Serafina asked back.

"Rude," Emmett said after catching a pass back.

"I would invite you too, but I don't want to," Serafina smirked.

Rosalie chuckled, "Maybe we should? Just the two of us. Everyone else has been a little too preoccupied with the new pet. I bet they wouldn't even notice."

"I'd notice!" Emmett argued.

"But you know Jazz needs you more. He's afraid to be near the pet, but Ali is all for her presence. Ed too. He needs someone, so he's not alone." Serafina answered.

Emmett knew it was true. Although everyone agreed not to kill the human, the dividing line remained. Jasper was on that other team. The team with Serafina and Rosalie. He wouldn't intentionally side against Alice. But keeping his distance from the girl was more manageable, so he typically stayed near his two sisters. If they were gone, he'd be by himself. Emmett couldn't do that to Jazz.

"See, you have to help him so he won't be alone. Everyone is too preoccupied with the new pet. It's not fair for him to be alone," Rosalie commented.

Emmett lowered his voice, "Why do you guys keep calling her a pet?" he asked.

"He says he's not going to turn her," Rosalie began.

"So he's feeding and watering her until she dies of old age. Isn't that how you take care of a pet?" Serafina finished.

"Huh, you guys make a good point. But I feel like this is a trap. If I were to call her that in front of Ed, I'd bet he'd kick my ass," Emmett frowned.

"Your fault. You are way stronger than him. He shouldn't be able to do that," Serafina mocked.