Texas 2006

Serafina had flown to her Texas home only a few hours after the wedding. Alice had tried to talk them into "family time," but Serafina knew a bit would be devoted to cleaning up after the wedding and reception. She didn't want to do that. But while Serafina had no qualms about saying no to that request, Rosalie did. She was pretty soft-hearted and decided to stay for two weeks. She would fly down to meet Serafina afterward. It did help that Alice had also promised to shop at some of their favorite boutiques in Seattle during her stay.

At this time, Serafina had been alone for about two weeks, but her wife called to say she would be a bit longer. Serafina initially thought she'd be fine but began regretting not staying with her wife and family only a few days after arriving. But she didn't have time to think about it long when her doorbell rang.

She didn't bother locking the door whenever she was home. The only ones brave enough to visit were typically the council or the witch. She didn't have to worry about unwanted guests, although she would prefer the witch stay away.

"It's open," she yelled from her living room.

"That's not safe. Anyone can waltz right in," Morgana scolded as she walked in, kicked off her shoes, and made her way to recline on the sofa opposite Serafina.

"You just proved your own point, bruja!" Serafina glared.

"I live to help," Morgana replied, "Where's my best friend?"

"She stayed with the family a bit longer to help out. It's just the two of us now," Serafina grumbled. Serafina thought momentarily, "Oh yeah, I figured it out, by the way."

"Figured what out?" Morgana asked.

"I know why you treat me differently," Serafina grinned lazily from her spot on the couch. Morgana raised a brow but gestured for her to continue, "I'm a god." Serafina smiled.

Morgana appeared stunned for only a moment, and Serafina smiled happily, thinking her guess was right before Morgana burst into laughter. "I forgot how conceited you are." She said between her bouts of laughter, "That was a good one." She managed.

Serafina looked at her with a frown. When she didn't stop laughing, she threw a pillow across the room that the witch caught. "Well then, why do you treat me and Rosa differently?"

Morgana grew serious as she made herself comfortable again. "You know, as much as I hate you and you hate me, I still consider you a friend. You and Rosie shared your pasts with me, and I also told you about myself—about before I became a witch and a bit after, but there was too much to tell. But you two still know the gist of it."

Serafina nodded in acknowledgment. The three had grown close.

"Well, I told you I became a witch to help the gods. We were tasked with many jobs, but the main idea was to keep the balance, to help keep the supernatural a secret and help humanity should the need arise," Morgana explained, "I did my job, but it didn't take long for the gods to disappear. But I kept existing. I kept doing my job. I've been doing this for a long time, and it started to seem like a waste of time. If the gods no longer cared, why should I?" she said sternly to the floor as she recalled the past.