40

"It seems you're comfortable with us now," Carlisle commented after seeing Serafina playing chess with Edward in the living room. It had been a month and a half since Serafina had moved in. She was, in fact, very much comfortable with them now.

"Sweetheart, I didn't take you for a chess player," Esme said in surprise.

Serafina calmly continued playing with Edward as she responded, "I have a couple of years of experience playing with a little genius back in Volterra. I had to play while entertaining a bossy little thing who still wanted attention, so I'm pretty good at playing without thinking."

"Multitasking," Esme nodded, "that's very impressive!"

Edward had his brows furrowed as he concentrated on the match. He would glance up at Serafina now and then as she spoke to the others. She was even braiding Rosalie's hair at the same time. Rosalie sat on the floor in front of Serafina so that she could reach her hair. The game was on the table to Serafina's left, so she could turn to the side and play when needed. Edward was incredibly frustrated. She was talking to the others while keeping her mind solely on Rosalie. She would pretty much only play in response to his moves. She was never thinking ahead, which he found incredibly annoying.

Jasper could feel his frustration. It was radiating from him. But he didn't even need his ability to know. He could just look up and see the glare he would shoot at Serafina. He felt immense satisfaction seeing Edward struggling at a game he typically dominated. Everyone else did too.

"Just admit you can't win unless you cheat!" Emmett called out while looking for a good station on the radio for them to enjoy. He was very much into jazz at the time. He settled on a station currently playing Nat "King" Cole. He danced back to his spot on the couch next to Jasper. His remark brought stifled giggles from everyone else in the room.

Everyone but Rosalie. She didn't even bother trying to hide her laughter.

"I don't cheat!" Edward growled back. He thought a moment before making a move that brought a smile to his face, "Check."

Serafina glanced at the board and quickly made her move, undoing his work in a matter of seconds, "Checkmate." She called.

"That's my girl!" Rosalie called, pulling Serafina's face down to give her a hard kiss. She ended it by giving Edward a mocking look, "Guess Emmett's right. You can't win unless you cheat."

"A genius and a bossy little thing?" Carlisle questioned, "You can't possibly mean-"

"Do you know the twins?" Serafina wondered out loud. She reluctantly turned her attention from Rosalie to Carlisle.

"Yes. They're not the friendliest of the Volturi, I noticed. Were you close to them?" Carlisle asked.

"Mhm. I guess you could call them my adoptive younger siblings. You guys should understand that considering how you all live," Serafina answered with a slight grin, "I love those kids. They're so fun."