33

The next day, Serafina went to the Cullen home earlier than expected but didn't feel the usual packed house. She calmly walked to the house and knocked on the door, hoping the presence she felt was at least the one she wanted. But with her luck, she figured it wouldn't be. Considering her unease, she knew if confirmed it wasn't who she wanted—but knocked anyways.

"Oh, you don't want to spend time with me? Too bad for you. You came a little earlier than usual today. We have maybe ten minutes before they come back. Come on in." Edward said as he moved out of her way and went to the living room.

Serafina scoffed as she closed the door and followed him into the living room. She calmed herself down by looking at the bright side. At least it wasn't Emmett who opened the door. She breathed a sigh of relief as she continued to think of that bright side.

"I don't know why you dislike him so much. He has the biggest heart out of anyone you'd meet. Has to. It's the only way it'd match his freakishly large body," Edward said as he sat at the piano.

Serafina couldn't help chuckling at that, "I can see that. But it doesn't stop him from being annoying."

"Very annoying. But it's because he's already counted you as one of us. As soon as he found out you were her mate, it made you family to him. Don't get me wrong. I'm trying. We all are. But just as you're wary of us." Edward said as he played a few notes; he looked up at her, "We're just as wary of you. Perhaps more so." He said, finishing off a quick melody.

"You had two vampires show up telling you they saw the future and were going to be part of your family," Serafina looked at him incredulously, "that wasn't more troubling to you all?"

He smiled, "Well yeah, that was bad. But at least their abilities aren't offensive. I think every one of us accepted them pretty quickly, except Emmett. He didn't trust them immediately. It took a good week before he felt comfortable around them. But as I said, he didn't question anything for you because of Rosalie. He still annoys you, even knowing you can kill him with a snap of your fingers. Because he trusts you wouldn't do anything to us because of your affection for Rosalie. I can read your mind, and I still don't have that kind of confidence in you." He said, playing the same melody at a different pace.

Serafina frowned. Perhaps she was judging Emmett too harshly. She could tell he was trying to help her. It was working too. She wasn't nearly as disgusted at the thought of physical contact with him as with any of the others. But the only physical contact she ever thought about with him was violence, so she wasn't entirely sure if it was the same. She began to reflect a bit more. For Emmett, she was willing to beat him silly, and her mind no longer went straight to murder. But when she thought of killing Edward or any of the others, she thought of killing them with her flames. Quick and with no physical contact at all. She supposed it was working after all. Serafina didn't notice Edward hitting the wrong key on his piano as he eyed her at her revelations.

"This right here is why I have no confidence in you as a member of this family," he said, shaking his head at her, "you make me nervous."

She looked at him, momentarily confused, before remembering he was in her mind. She couldn't help the smirk that appeared on her face as she shrugged. Unbothered by the look he was giving her.